iOS 9 features automatic app delete / reinstall feature for devices with insufficient space

Shawn Knight

Staff member

ios apple iphone ipad apps software update ios 9

Apple has already made it clear that iOS 9 will focus on core improvements designed to improve battery life, performance and security. Combating fragmentation is also high on the company’s to-do list as it’ll be easier than ever for end-users to upgrade to the latest OS when it arrives later this year.

Developers running the second beta build of iOS 9 have discovered a space management feature designed to help those running low on available free space make room to download the install file.

When installing iOS 9 during such a scenario, a dialog box pops up to warn the user that there isn’t enough space available for the update. In order to make room, the dialog offers to temporarily delete some apps.

The message notes that all deleted apps will automatically be replaced once the update is complete. Users are given the option to go ahead with the update via app deletion or cancel the update and free up additional space on their own.

Many users running iPhones with 16GB of internal storage had a difficult time upgrading to iOS 8 last year as the update required more than 4GB of space. iOS 9, in comparison, will require just 1.3GB of free space.

As flash memory becomes cheaper to produce, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Apple double the minimum iPhone storage capacity from 16GB to 32GB in future models. With iOS 9 requiring much less space, however, Apple could delay this move until next year without much incident.

Permalink to story.

"I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple double the minimum iPhone storage capacity from 16GB to 32GB in future models".
Me either, then they can gleefully double the price of their gadget because they probably feel they're not ripping... err, charging enough for them right now.

Back