iOS proves more popular than Android for holiday shopping, report finds

Shawn Knight

Staff member

ios android christmas app sales mobile platform app ecosystem

Android may have more devices in the wild than any other mobile platform but you wouldn’t know it by looking at holiday sales figures. As a percentage of total online sales, iOS was more than five times higher than Android on Christmas Day according to a new report from IBM courtesy of their Digital Analytics Benchmark Hub.

The report reveals that on average, iOS shoppers spent $93.94 per order compared to $48.10 per purchase for Android shoppers. As a component of overall traffic, iOS again led with 32.6 percent versus 14.8 percent using Google’s mobile operating system. Breaking it down a bit further, iOS accounted for 23 percent of all web-based sales while Android was responsible for 4.6 percent of all purchases.

IBM also found that mobile traffic was at an all-time high during the holiday season, accounting for an impressive 48 percent of all online traffic. That’s good for an increase of 28.3 percent compared to the same period in 2012.

On a per-device basis, smartphones drove 28.5 percent of all online traffic compared to tablets at 18.1 percent. In terms of making the sale, however, people seem to prefer tablets as they drove 19.4 percent of all sales compared to just 9.3 percent for smartphones. People also spent more money on average per order via tablets at $95.61 versus $85.11 per order for phone shoppers.

Did you do any holiday shopping on your mobile device this year or do you prefer to stick with a desktop / notebook?

Permalink to story.

No surprise whatsoever. who wants to use a buggy, slow, choppy, crashy, open source OS like android?
iOS is the undisputed winner, no matter what the comparison. It just works. period.

No surprise whatsoever. who wants to use a buggy, slow, choppy, crashy, open source OS like android?
iOS is the undisputed winner, no matter what the comparison. It just works. period.

Of course this is a guest comment who has probably never used an android OS.

It's very difficult to buy an android device as a gift because most droid users are rather particular about what they like and don't like. There are different processors, amounts of ram, internal storage, default UI, and things like the camera and screen. With iPhones, you don't get multiple choices for any of those. It's either a 5c or a 5s. That's it.

Lol, guest trolls... look buddy, I am an iOS fanatic, but I cannot make that statement lol.

You have just gone full retard, never go full retard.

I love it. Now they are calculating how many people are using iOS devices to do purchases online. Is this really news? Is this really a useful report? Who cares what OS people use to make online purchases? This is the dumbest post I have ever seen. Anything to make Apple look good. That is hilarious.

Would you mobile iOS/Android people turn off your phones just for one holiday and look up into the room you're in, filled with people, and say Hello?!

I can't blame you for remaining incognito. You're obviously very experienced at being embarrassed.

Well this is the season of giving and e-tailers probably feel that a fools money is just as good as anyone else's and Apple buyers tend to be fools so they gave them bigger discounts because even fools have a right to be happy as well..

"No surprise whatsoever. who wants to use a buggy, slow, choppy, crashy, open source OS like android?

iOS is the undisputed winner, no matter what the comparison. It just works. period."

--> yeah, you're right buddy! while we can see android have more devices in the world than iOS.. what a genius comment I've ever read

Well that was not the case at my local Best Buy. Why those numbers maybe overall, here locally in Texas that just wasn't the case. Samsung sold like wildfire not Apple. Apple only had there newest devices out for display where Samsung had all of theirs on display. From Tab 3 7", 8" and 10" models to the Note 8", 10" and 10" 2014 edition.

Both Apple and Samsung tablets sold really well. Both sold out a couple of times but stock came back in before and after Christmas.
There were a lot of people complaining about there Apple product and wanting to switch to Samsung. Not just talking about tablets, a good amount of people switched from iPhone to Samsungs S4. From what the customers were saying it was about iOS 7 was just to different, some even saying it was more like Android so they just decided to switch to Samsung and got a S4 or Note 3.

Back