IP Adddress block

Status
Not open for further replies.

OGGBoy

For my business I am assigned an IP address block; ending range is 50 - 55). Does all five of those IP addresses have to go to the same physical location? Or can it be split to different locations? If so, is that something I need to do on the server, or is that something my IP provider would have to do? I am so sorry if this sounds pretty stupid, but this is the first time I am dealing with an IP block and I am not to sure how to go about it. Thanks for any feedback

KC

I take it you mean your ISP is giving you five STATIC IPs?
If that's the case, you usualy get some kind of equipment, like a UBR, to send those addresses to your routers. At least, that might be the easiest. Here in the office we have like 16 IPs. Each one has it's own router, the router, in turn, assigns IPs to whatever area we want. And we can set those node to be able to talk to each other, or not.
Like for example we have "black lines" for infected PCs which cannot communicate to any other systems in the office. And our public Internet PCs cannot communicate with our servers, etc...

Not sure if that's what you mean.

If you mean, send each IP to different locations in terms of having 5 different incoming "lines", I don't think so. All your IPs from your ISP still come in one line, but once they hit your switches or routers, you can physically take the cable anywhere.

Maybe we need some more info about the setup.

Good luck!

You hit it on the spot my ISP provided me with 5 static IPs. That is good information you also gave me about how all 5 IPS come in through one line. Say I had another office space a few blocks away, would that office space also get its own set of 5 statis IPS addresses? Thanks again a whole bunch.

If you have another location that is completely sepparate, as "few blocks away" seems to denote, then you would actually need a new Internet line alltogether. That is, a second purchase from your ISP for that location. High speed is not like dialup where you can just go any place and dial the local number, using your username and password. If you bought high speed and 5 IPs for one location, you'd have to buy another 5 IPs and connect up another account to the other location.

Of course, if the other location doesn't need 5 ISPs, you don't have to buy them.

And then on top of things, once both locations have the Internet connection, you can set up a WAN between the locations. A virtual network, and send traffic where you will.

The last method is, if, per chance, both locations are visible to each other, as in, direct line of site; then you can use a direct wireless between them. Sort of like a point-to-point wireless. And then you wouldn't have to buy two account from the ISP. But if the locations are far apart and not line-of-site, you have to buy another Internet connection with its own IPs.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back