Ip Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

thadanman2k1

This might sound stupid, but how do I find out my computer's ip address. I just want it so i can play multi-player. ty in advance.:grinthumb

easiest way:

open command prompt

type this:

ipconfig

there are three numbers, your ip address, your subnet mask and your default gateway.

Phant, Windows 2000 and WindowsXP do not have IPCONFIG as a GUI app, only a console app. He is quite likely using those.

In which case, in 2k and xp, you can either go to the properties of the connection for that adapter in network connections, or you can open a command prompt and type the following:

arp -a

OR

netstat -an

OR

ipconfig

Any of those will give you the IP address of each of your adapters, including your NIC or modem.

erm, hello did you not read my post properly. i said open a command prompt and type ipconfig. i didn't say anything about any gui thing. you think i don't know what I am talking about???

you then go on to tell him to type ipconfig which is exactly what i told him to do? was there something wrong with my post? if there is I certainly can't see it.

indeed. or start, run, type "cmd" (without quotes), hit enter, then type ipconfig.

its as simple as that.

I am not sure but I think Soul Harvester must have not read my post correctly.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
erm, hello did you not read my post properly. i said open a command prompt and type ipconfig. i didn't say anything about any gui thing. you think i don't know what I am talking about???

you then go on to tell him to type ipconfig which is exactly what i told him to do? was there something wrong with my post? if there is I certainly can't see it.

No need to get defensive, the way I read it seemed that you meant to have him type it in the RUN box, I didn't see the command prompt part. No need to get snobby either, as long as he was helped.

point taken. but there's been several cases of people not reading posts properly here recently, dubbing good advice invalid and overiding it with bad. i'm not saying that this was you - it wasn't, however it has happened several times and it gets tiresome to read....

i'll admit though that i was too harsh and for that i'm sorry....

umm...i dunno which windows OSs this works with, but why not just Start > Run > then type winipcfg and hit enter......dandy little utility.

ipconfig in command dos if u have win xp or winipcfg in run if you have win ME or earlier

Nice find poert. Until that I thought the easiest way for me to find mine was to right click in an AIM dialogue box and do insert -> IP address.

Re: he must have xp

Originally posted by JSR
ipconfig DOES NOT WORK in the command prompt w/ xp

Did you just say that ipconfig does not work in the command prompt in Windows XP ????

If so, sorry but you are wrong.

Even although as I read your post I was utterly sure of this, just to cement that I checked in a command prompt on Windows XP and IT DOES WORK.

Maybe the machine you were using didn't, due to local or group policy settings not allowing you to, perhaps.

Maybe JSR's path is messed up. If the windows\system32 dir is not in the path then it won't work.

LNCPapa

thx but,

for some reason......i recall some variation on the command line working ........in the past........and that was why soul harvester's link was intriguing.......as it offered up multiple methods to obtain the address..............that............i thought......... might work.....but ..........no dice.......maybe something to do with certain types of networks?......hmmmmmmmmm........or another way

Re: thx but,

Originally posted by JSR
for some reason......i recall some variation on the command line working ........in the past........and that was why soul harvester's link was intriguing.......as it offered up multiple methods to obtain the address..............that............i thought......... might work.....but ..........no dice.......maybe something to do with certain types of networks?......hmmmmmmmmm........or another way

I think you mean Poert's link, as for the rest of that, could you rephrase that to clarify what you mean. I couldn't understand any of that.

oh please

there was a previous post that showed some other command line variations.......his handle was soul harvester............and in dealing with network techs in the past........i believe they achieved a result from some variation of "ipconfig"back then..........i wrote it down, and now can't find it........but, MY command prompt will not recognize "ipconfig" and tells me it is not a command it recognizes.......so all i'm asking is .........some other way?.......some variation on command that i will recognize?etcetcetc...........UNDERSTAND?

what's my IP

oh, by the way.....this website does, as does others.....identify my address.............tried it on baseline analyzer, and it would not accept it as legit.......but i get the same address on other sites as well....so, i guess that is what it is......i am on a DCHP network that direct connects........so i thought it might be just the kind of network i was on....oh well, no biggie

One other thing you can try is searching your computer for ipconfig....if it isn't in the right directory you might not be able to use it. By searching for it, then moving to that directory in the command prompt, might let you do it. Just another thought.

search

found it in two files.......c/windows/system32...and....c/windows/servicepackfiles/i386.......and?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back