IP address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiJackThis1.99

I am a mod of a forum and I am displayed IP addresses. My question is, how do you can that IP address? Also, there seems to be a second IP which is not supposed to change. And finally, what would this command do with my IP,
Code:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Ok me and my friend were wonder what the heck you are trying to say. Sorry we just could understand your verbage.

1)I was saying as a mod I am displayed user's IP address. Now this IP address changes from time to time. I wanted to know why and how it is changed.

2)Is there a second type of IP address? One which is never changed?

3)What does the following command in MS-DOS do:
Code:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
with my IP address if anything?

1) the IP changes because the user has a dynamic IP address, which means everytime he connects to his ISP, they assign a new IP.

2) Yes, a Static IP, but this is usually provided by the ISP.

3) These commands try to release the current IP to the DNS Server, and request a new one (I think this is correct).

#3 flushes your DNS entries, then releases your IP address from you NIC card, then it requests a new IP address from your DHCP server.

You're asking some strange questions. What are you wanting to do? You say you're a moderator of a forum, but who would give moderation privilages to someone that, not trying to offend here, doesn't know the basics. Tell us exactly what you are trying to do and we can go from there. Per your last question, no you could not do that, but why would you want to even if you could? Just looking at your screen name gives me a funny feeling about this entire conversation.

The way your dynamic IP addresses works goes like this - Your ISP assigns you an IP address that changes from time to time, this makes it dynamic. The rate at which it changes it variable and depends on a few things. The two main factors are the lease time assigned by the ISP in their DHCP server and whether or not your DSL/Cable modem is powered on and online during that time frame that your IP address assigned by the ISP is set to expire.

If I had to venture a guess, you have banned someone via IP address or subnet from somewhere (or you yourself have been banned) be it a game server or a forum and now you're wanting to know if they/you can get around that. I may be wrong about this so forgive me if I am.

s3xynanigoat said:
You're asking some strange questions. What are you wanting to do? You say you're a moderator of a forum, but who would give moderation privilages to someone that, not trying to offend here, doesn't know the basics. Tell us exactly what you are trying to do and we can go from there. Per your last question, no you could not do that, but why would you want to even if you could? Just looking at your screen name gives me a funny feeling about this entire conversation.

The way your dynamic IP addresses works goes like this - Your ISP assigns you an IP address that changes from time to time, this makes it dynamic. The rate at which it changes it variable and depends on a few things. The two main factors are the lease time assigned by the ISP in their DHCP server and whether or not your DSL/Cable modem is powered on and online during that time frame that your IP address assigned by the ISP is set to expire.

If I had to venture a guess, you have banned someone via IP address or subnet from somewhere (or you yourself have been banned) be it a game server or a forum and now you're wanting to know if they/you can get around that. I may be wrong about this so forgive me if I am.
Actually I am not banned. I want to change my IP to 1.3.3.7 so whenever someone clicks to see mine that is what is says. I just do not know how to do it.

normally, the ISP assigns IP addresses, either (1)dynamically using DHCP, or
(b) statically when you pay for that service. The Client gets to define the IP
address ONLY (c) when you have registeded a DOMAIN NAME AND have created your
own webserver OR purchase a web hosting service.

pick one of the above and we'll start from there ...

HiJackThis1.99 said:
Code:
ipconfig /all
The IP address that appears there. That is the non-changing IP address.
sorry, that is not always true.
It may be true IF you have a STATIC address purchase from the ISP, a registered
domain, OR if you are behind a router with static addresses. Otherwise, DHCP
assignments may change anytime a RELEASE/RENEW cycle is invoked. It is frequently
the case that you may get the same addresses back again, but it is not a requirement.

HiJackThis1.99 said:
Actually I am not banned. I want to change my IP to 1.3.3.7 so whenever someone clicks to see mine that is what is says. I just do not know how to do it.

Who are you trying to display this IP address to?

If it is an internal network (ie. behind a router/firewall like a home network) then you would need to have a router configured to give/accept the 1.3.3.7 IP address. If you set your router to a 1.3.3.0/24 configuration then you could give yourself a static IP address of 1.3.3.7.

Someone outside your network will only see the ISP supplied IP address.

What game and/or service are you using that allows someone to see your IP address? There is quite a bit of risk involved in that so be careful.

It depends on who you want to display this ip to. Not sure if this is possible if it is a static IP.

Regards,

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back