iPad Air Review: Apple's latest slate put to the test

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/741-apple-ipad-air/]https://www.techspot.com/review/741-apple-ipad-air/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Thanks for the review Shawn, a colleague of mine picked up a 128GB model as soon as we received stock and he is loving it. I must say I was rather impressed as well when I used one briefly - definitely a good step forward I think.

I was playing with a 16Gb model a few days ago. To be fair, it was rather nice. I too noticed that the silly speaker placement, how about 2 speakers per side that work in tandem with the units orientation. That, a better camera, a 2 MP forward facing shooter, a fingerprint sensor and it'll almost be worth the price Apple expect people to pay.

$929 for the 128GB version? WTF - and people are complaining that M$ sells their Surface Pro 2 128GB model for $999. At least the Surface is a full blown PC that can easily be used as a productivity device. Not saying that some productivity can't be done on an iPad, it's just not the same. The Surface OS and hardware is better suited for productivity (I.e. standard OS, USB, micro SD, etc...).

That's a great review, I really enjoyed looking at it. I don't think it'll be worth the upgrade for me to give up my iPad 2 just yet though.

I get so tired of reviews written to over rate products that don't deserve them. No mention of the fact that the whole reason Apple went to this design, was to make up for profit share losses. Not to give any real benefits, when they've simply substituted poorer quality softer DIE cast Aluminum because it's easier and cheaper to carve out than stamping out Aircraft Grade Aluminum back covers and take out the steel for strength. They got away with it on iPhone 5 and iPad Mini, so they went ahead and cheapened it. Oh.... yeah but..... but..... it's still metal even if it's more closely related to the pot metal in your kid's Chinese made Toys!

Now to add insult to injury..... Apple's ecosystem is to feed off developers dumb enough to join in on picking their used user's pockets. For Apple and company these kinds of reviews that camouflage how Apple cheapened iPads and all their other devices in the name of PROFITS..... over consumers real wants and needs is why I take every online review as a single grain of salt!

Calm down, ViperSniper!
Please consider for a moment how readers reflect on your comments! You would appear to be a contributor who is well balanced - with a chip on each shoulder!!
So, you've identified a company which depends on profit for survival - now that is radical!
So, die-cast metal products are essentially "cheap" and you infer that "Chinese made" is inferior!
So, software developers with legal Apple contracts are being "fed off" - the poor souls!
Calm down, have a cup of coffee, and compose a response which will stimulate the reader with measured and interesting comment. The slim-line IPad Air isn't thick enough for a soap-box - and that's what you seem to be looking for. As for taking every online review with a single grain of salt - throw caution to the wind and take a couple of grains - I do, and I can still taste both of them - especially with my tongue in my cheek!!!
The iPad Air looks and feels good - thanks for the TechSpot reviews - keep them coming.

That's a great review, I really enjoyed looking at it. I don't think it'll be worth the upgrade for me to give up my iPad 2 just yet though.
Yeah, I dont think it would be worth the upgrade. If Apple made the iPad 4 the secondary iPad to the Air for $100 less, than iPad Air sales would be less because they are quite similar other than differences in weight, dimensions, and processing power. Once Apple dumps the iPad 2 as the secondary iPad, because there is enough difference between the higher-end model and the last generation, then it is time to upgrade. I have an iPad 3 and I think I will upgrade once the 6th comes out next year.

Back