iPad found to cause nickel-related allergic reaction

Scorpus

Staff member

An allergic reaction from a piece of technology like an iPad may seem like a ridiculous notion, but a recent report from the Pediatrics medial journal has linked Apple's popular tablet to certain rashes found in children.

The article looks at a case of an itchy body rash on an 11-year-old's skin, which is diagnosed by a dermatologist as allergic contact dermatitis caused by exposure to nickel. The doctors looked into possible sources of nickel exposure, before landing on the iPad that the child used on a daily basis. Tests discovered that nickel was found in the outer case of the tablet.

After the child put his iPad in a protective case, the rash on his body subsided. Nickel allergies are one of the more common types, with data showing around 25% of children who get tested for allergies are found to be allergic to the metal, up from 17% a decade ago.

The rear of most iPad models is constructed from an aluminium alloy which evidently is part-nickel. Although Apple products adhere to strict standards set by the US Consumer Safety Product Commission, as noted in a statement from the company relating to this issue, it's still possible for a product's build to cause an allergic reaction in a small part of the population.

The iPad likely isn't alone in its use of nickel: other products with metal cases or bodies could be produced in-part using nickel, so if you are allergic to the metal or experience rashes using these products, think about getting yourself a case (and proper medical advice).

Permalink to story.

I don't think it's far fetched at all, I'm also extremely allergic to Apple but I think that's more to do with the company itself rather than the nickel they use in their products so I took my problem to my doctor and he prescribed a fool proof, magic bullet cure... Other manufacturers and vendors products.

Last edited:
This story interested me because I work at an aluminium finishing company and am somewhat familiar with the common aircraft aluminum alloys. Some internet researching seems to indicate that the most likely aluminum that Apple would use is 6061. That happens to be one of the metals we deal with and we have certifications that come when we order test panels.

Of the certs I checked (2024, 6061, 7050, 7075) the only one that had nickel listed at all was 2024 alclad, the cert max nickel content is 0.05% and the lot we received (the only 2024 alclad cert I checked) at that time was 0.01% nickel.

I wonder what percentage it takes before a nickel allergy will present as a rash? I find it a little hard to believe it is the nickel causing this kid problems, it may be something else, like perhaps an aluminum allergy?

Signs of an Aluminum Allergy

In many people, the development of small itchy lumps under the skin often precedes an aluminum allergy. Later, the aluminum allergy itself develops and can cause allergic contact dermatitis symptoms including itchiness, red scaling of the skin, and blisters.

Also if it was nickle I would think the anodizing process would isolate the nickel from the surface since the anodizing process creates an aluminum oxide layer that is much thicker than unanodized aluminum.

I don't think it's far fetched at all, I'm also extremely allergic to Apple but I think that's more to do with the company itself rather than the nickel they use in their products so I took my problem to my doctor and he prescribed a fool proof, magic bullet cure... Other manufacturers and vendors products.
Beat me to it.

....[ ]....I wonder what percentage it takes before a nickel allergy will present as a rash? I find it a little hard to believe it is the nickel causing this kid problems, it may be something else, like perhaps an aluminum allergy?...[ ]...
Yeah, it kind of makes you wonder. If a nickel allergy were that common, every electric guitar player on the planet should be scratching like a hound. Guitar frets are most commonly nickel silver, and electric guitar strings are most commonly nickel steel.

Silver salts can be extremely toxic, as can salts of Copper, Copper sulfate is a deadly poison, as is silver nitrate.

And so we go to cranky's trivia corner. Did you know at one time, (and possibly still), they would put a drop of silver nitrate in the eyes of newborns, to prevent possible infection from gonorrhea?

With that said, very few articles of pure aluminum are sold without some sort of clear coat. Aluminum it seems, wants to turn back into its parent ore, at every available opportunity.

Last edited:
Are you sure you didn't drink milk after apples? That would explain it ;)
That post is positively unamerican! Apple pie is too patriotic to make you fart. Besides, what else other than milk would you wash it down with.....,beer? I also think I remember doing boom, boom, during a Steve Jobs podcast, and in front of the Apple display at Best Buy....:p

If you have ever touched a demo ipad or touch screen device in a store. I guarantee that a nickel rash is the least of your worries.
The same could be said for getting "to 3rd base", with some most women.:eek:
Boom apple lawsuit
I don't think a rash lawsuit would go so far xD..
Well realistically, I think Apple's lawyers would find a reason to file a counter complaint, which they would most likely then win.

Last edited:
Back