iPad found to cause nickel-related allergic reaction

By Scorpus
Jul 15, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. An allergic reaction from a piece of technology like an iPad may seem like a ridiculous notion, but a recent report from the Pediatrics medial journal has linked Apple's popular tablet to certain rashes found in children.

Read more
  2. If you have ever touched a demo ipad or touch screen device in a store. I guarantee that a nickel rash is the least of your worries.
    Jad Chaar and wastedkill like this.
  3. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

Boom apple lawsuit
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

I don't think it's far fetched at all, I'm also extremely allergic to Apple but I think that's more to do with the company itself rather than the nickel they use in their products so I took my problem to my doctor and he prescribed a fool proof, magic bullet cure... Other manufacturers and vendors products.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,457   +1,759

Apple products make fart, merely thinking about them.:eek:
  6. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I don't think a rash lawsuit would go so far xD.

LMAO best guest comment to date...
  7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

This story interested me because I work at an aluminium finishing company and am somewhat familiar with the common aircraft aluminum alloys. Some internet researching seems to indicate that the most likely aluminum that Apple would use is 6061. That happens to be one of the metals we deal with and we have certifications that come when we order test panels.

Of the certs I checked (2024, 6061, 7050, 7075) the only one that had nickel listed at all was 2024 alclad, the cert max nickel content is 0.05% and the lot we received (the only 2024 alclad cert I checked) at that time was 0.01% nickel.

I wonder what percentage it takes before a nickel allergy will present as a rash? I find it a little hard to believe it is the nickel causing this kid problems, it may be something else, like perhaps an aluminum allergy?

Also if it was nickle I would think the anodizing process would isolate the nickel from the surface since the anodizing process creates an aluminum oxide layer that is much thicker than unanodized aluminum.
  8. Nima304

Nima304 TS Guru Posts: 365   +81

Beat me to it.
  9. captaincranky

Yeah, it kind of makes you wonder. If a nickel allergy were that common, every electric guitar player on the planet should be scratching like a hound. Guitar frets are most commonly nickel silver, and electric guitar strings are most commonly nickel steel.

Silver salts can be extremely toxic, as can salts of Copper, Copper sulfate is a deadly poison, as is silver nitrate.

And so we go to cranky's trivia corner. Did you know at one time, (and possibly still), they would put a drop of silver nitrate in the eyes of newborns, to prevent possible infection from gonorrhea?

With that said, very few articles of pure aluminum are sold without some sort of clear coat. Aluminum it seems, wants to turn back into its parent ore, at every available opportunity.
  10. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,106   +1,376

Are you sure you didn't drink milk after apples? That would explain it ;)
  11. captaincranky

That post is positively unamerican! Apple pie is too patriotic to make you fart. Besides, what else other than milk would you wash it down with.....,beer? I also think I remember doing boom, boom, during a Steve Jobs podcast, and in front of the Apple display at Best Buy....:p

The same could be said for getting "to 3rd base", with some most women.:eek:
    Well realistically, I think Apple's lawyers would find a reason to file a counter complaint, which they would most likely then win.