iPhone 5 vs. Galaxy S3 vs. Lumia 920: spec by spec rundown

Julio Franco

Staff member

Apple's latest and greatest phone is finally out of the cage. The iPhone 5 went throught millimetric scrutiny the weeks and months ahead its release and as it turns out, most of the late rumors we'd heard about a larger 4-inch screen, thinner body, LTE support, among others proved to be exactly true.

Most Apple fans won't look past the iPhone 5, after all it is a faster, more polished device and undoubtedly the best phone that has ever come out from Cupertino. However, sticking to the facts, the iPhone 5 is met today with a formidable pack of competitors that include but is not limited to the Samsung Galaxy S III, HTC One X, LG Optimus 4X HD, and the upcoming Nokia Lumia 920.

Check out the table below for a spec by spec rundown of what we consider are the best smartphones on the market today:

Apple iPhone 5 Samsung
Galaxy S III
Nokia Lumia 920 HTC One X LG Optimus 4X HD
Price
(on contract)
$200 $100 N/A $90 $460
(unlocked)
Availability September 21 Now Q4 2012 Now Now
Metascore   {pf id:85133 size:small}   {pf id:83984 size:small} {pf id:84545 size:small}
Review More info Review More info Review Review

Processor Apple A6
1Ghz dual-core
Snapdragon S4
1.4GHz quad-core
Snapdragon S4
1.5GHz dual-core
Snapdragon S4
1.5GHz dual-core
Nvidia Tegra 3
1.5GHz quad-core
Display 4-inch
IPS
4.8-inch
Super AMOLED
4.5-inch
IPS LCD
4.7-inch
S-LCD 2
4.7-inch
IPS LCD
Resolution
(PPI)
640 x 1136
(326)
720 x 1280
(306)
768 x 1280
(332)
720 x 1280
(312)
720 x 1280
(312)
RAM 1GB 1GB 1.3GB 1GB 1GB
Front camera 1MP 1.9MP 2MP 1.3MP 1.3MP
Rear camera 8MP 8MP 8.7MP 8MP 8MP
Storage 16/32/64GB 16/32/64GB 32GB 16GB 12GB
USB No Yes Yes Yes Yes
microSD No Yes No No Yes

Cellular HSPA+ / LTE HSPA+21 / LTE HSPA+ / LTE HSPA+ / LTE HSPA+
Wireless Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0 Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0 Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 3.1 Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0 Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
NFC No Yes Yes Yes Yes

Operating System iOS 6 Android 4.0 Windows Phone 8 Android 4.0 Android 4.0
App Marketplace iTunes Google Play Windows Marketplace Google Play Google Play
Weight 112g 133g 185g 129g 141g
Other Airplay HDMI out
via microUSB
Wireless charging HDMI out
via microUSB
HDMI out
via microUSB

OS and ecosystems draw the most evident divide between phones running Android, iOS and Windows Phone. You may already have a favorite, but it's a very dynamic environment out there.

Stay tuned as we get our hands on the Apple iPhone 5 for a full review soon.

Permalink to story.

Just realized, my One X International has not only quad core, but also 32gb storage. No wonder it comes second to the S3...

This maybe a dumb question but besides the App-Store, why would anyone choose the iPhone 5 over the Lumia 920? I personally think that not only does the Lumia 920 have better specs, but it definitely looks much better than the iPhone. I mean, the overall look of the iPhone has hardly changed it was first released...

This maybe a dumb question but besides the App-Store, why would anyone choose the iPhone 5 over the Lumia 920? I personally think that not only does the Lumia 920 have better specs, but it definitely looks much better than the iPhone. I mean, the overall look of the iPhone has hardly changed it was first released...

The specs don't look better on the Lumia. it had .7 MP more on the camera and sllightly (unnoticable) more PPI of 6. but its .5 in bigger (which for me is a negative. I liked the 3.5in iphone better than a 4"), weighs 50% more, runs on windows (huge negative for me). and for me the biggest issue is that both don't have a micro SD. thats the biggest crime here...

In the world of cars, did you know Hyundai has A TON of better specs then Lexus?

Moral of this story: don't judge on specs alone, you will be disappointed. The whole package counts.

Lumia 920 has better lcd better touch sensetivity and camera lens beside it is more attractive galaxy s3 is good phone also..

The specs don't look better on the Lumia. it had .7 MP more on the camera and sllightly (unnoticable) more PPI of 6. but its .5 in bigger (which for me is a negative. I liked the 3.5in iphone better than a 4"), weighs 50% more, runs on windows (huge negative for me). and for me the biggest issue is that both don't have a micro SD. thats the biggest crime here...

Okay, I see you point and as always it always boils down to personal preferance... I guess I'm probably a Microsoft & Nokia Fanboy... :D

I like the Windows Phone OS, especially coz I know VB.Net and Windows phone is the only platform, of the 3, I can easily code for and make apps. Also I like the Lumia's design and I personally am bored with apples design... I also love the AMOLed display on the Lumia, and it's a great big positive for me. As for size, it is not a negative for me, and I don't mind the screen size or the weight, becoz despite it being heavier, it won't be a brick... :D but again that's personal preference in the end. I do agree that the lack of Micro SD slot is a major weakness in both... (sigh)

In the world of cars, did you know Hyundai has A TON of better specs then Lexus?

Moral of this story: don't judge on specs alone, you will be disappointed. The whole package counts.

Sounds like someone just realized the iphone is lagging in the smartphone race!

For real though, I think given those specs the iphone should have a much better battery life. That being said, I don't know about the other phones, but the galaxy s3's battery lasts all day on automatic brightness. Besides that it's an awesome phone in general. After using it the iphone's 4" would just be inadequate for me. Conclusion: I'd stick with the galaxy s3 even if it weren't half the price of the iphone.

I am interested to see how the Lumia is though.

The specs don't look better on the Lumia. it had .7 MP more on the camera and sllightly (unnoticable) more PPI of 6. but its .5 in bigger (which for me is a negative. I liked the 3.5in iphone better than a 4")
Have you actually used a larger phone for any length of time? When I switched from the iPhone 4 to the SGS3 it took a couple of days to get used to the change from a 3.5 to 4.8 inch screen, especially trying to use the phone with one hand but once you do get used to it, 3.5 inch screens just seem way too small.

Was thinking of getting the s3 but the lumia is tempting, iphone wouldnt even think of getting one....

Interesting. Looks like iPhone is not necessarily the big boy on the block any longer from just a specs standpoint. The only other criteria you'd really need to look at is amount of apps available. Which I believe goes to the iPhone, but Android is catching up fast.

And I had no idea Metacritic rated phones....

Nokia is going to get my money this time! I'm coming from a Samsung Galaxy Ace and the change it's going to be awesome, Nokia's phone looks simply amazing in both specs and design.

Everybody says lumia lumia lumia, but they forgot that windows phone 8 is still it's infancy and it will probably be another year or two before it will even come close to what u can do on IOS6 or Android (at least 2 years for the important apps to be ported). Updates galore for win8.
I also want a good windows phone but I'll probably wait at least another generation to see how things look and I'll have a much better understanding of the differences between the 3 platforms.

The specs don't look better on the Lumia. it had .7 MP more on the camera and sllightly (unnoticable) more PPI of 6. but its .5 in bigger (which for me is a negative. I liked the 3.5in iphone better than a 4")
Have you actually used a larger phone for any length of time? When I switched from the iPhone 4 to the SGS3 it took a couple of days to get used to the change from a 3.5 to 4.8 inch screen, especially trying to use the phone with one hand but once you do get used to it, 3.5 inch screens just seem way too small.

I agree, I also went from the iPhone 4 to the SGS3 and it took me about a week to get used to the bigger size but now any other phone feels tiny in comparison. I can't wait for the Lumia 920 :)

The S3 wins this by a mile...No SD card slot for any other phone ? Bluetooth 3.1 on the Lumia, really ? Btw if Apple is bragging about their phone is like your being happy for doing something second !

Everybody says lumia lumia lumia, but they forgot that windows phone 8 is still it's infancy and it will probably be another year or two before it will even come close to what u can do on IOS6 or Android (at least 2 years for the important apps to be ported). Updates galore for win8.
I also want a good windows phone but I'll probably wait at least another generation to see how things look and I'll have a much better understanding of the differences between the 3 platforms.

I don't think you have a true understanding of what WP7 can do, let alone WP8. Your statement is far off. You should read up on the OS's a little bit more before you say something like that. App count is the only major advantage iOS has over windows os, still WOS has most of iphone's top apps.

Though I've always hated Apple, I've secretly thought the Iphone was a better product than any Android phone...until the S3 came out. I thought the new Iphone 5 would once again put iOS in front of Android... I'm relieved, that for once, I don't think it will. I'm thoroughly underwhelmed by the new iPhone

Now what if Apple wins and the Samsung Galaxy S III does get banned in the US. hmmmm

I want the Xiaomi Mi2 with a 4.3" IPS screen @1280x720, a 1.5GHz Quad Core Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, 2GB of RAM, a 8MP Camera, and running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean! Plus it is gorgeous, just need to update the ROM at the miuiandroid website, and this phone destroys all the competition. Not to mention it is cheaper than the competition too. Although it's only launching in October (definitely going to sell out) and having to order from China means it may only be the middle of November when I receive it. :/

That is what Apple counts on. Now, they have a gravy train...all NEW accessories, new docks, new cords, new everything. Win win for Apple. Until the rabid fans wake up and see what is going on, Apple will continue to milk that cow.

"Most Apple fans won't look past the iPhone 5"

The Lumia has nice specs. The only great advantage of the iPhone is the App Store and the OS which is really an opinion since it depends if you like iOS or not.

I'm going with the Lumia 920 I think. Have a 900 now and love it. Come on Nokia/Microsoft, release it already!

Back