iPhone 6 Plus owners rarely uses their iPads anymore

Shawn Knight

Staff member

bigger iphones ipad pocket iphone tablet phablet iphone 6 plus

Large-screen smartphones were ridiculed during their first few years of existence, often reserved for true technology enthusiasts. If you wanted a mobile device with a large display, you bought a tablet... which is exactly what millions of people did.

The narrative around phablets has slowly changed as of late, however. Manufacturers are convincing people that it’s acceptable to look silly talking into a giant phone because they’re invaluable when it comes to web use and more importantly, media consumption.

And with Apple now in the phablet market, all bets are off.

Media consumption is key, however, because that’s what tablets are best at. With capable large-screen phones now in the hands of millions, many are spending less and less time with their once-beloved tablets.

Apple has all but abandoned the iPad mini. iPad sales in general are expected to turn in a yearly decline for the first time ever. And after seeing the latest data from Pocket, there’s really no way around it: phablets are cannibalizing tablet sales.

bigger iphones ipad pocket iphone tablet phablet iphone 6 plus

By looking at user data from its save-for-later reading and video app, Pocket has noticed a major shift in tablet usage. As you can see in the graphic above, iPhone 6 Plus users are now only reaching for their iPads 20 percent of the time versus nearly half of the time for iPhone 5s users.

Pocket also found that a bigger screen also means people are watching more video and leaving their second device at home.

If you have a large-screen smartphone and a tablet, we’d love to hear your input. Do you find that you reach for your tablet less since purchasing a big phone like the iPhone 6 Plus, Note 4, LG G3 or Nexus 6 (assuming of course that you got the phone after the tablet)?

Permalink to story.

I have to admit, I've found myself consuming video much more (since I got a 6 plus) but I still use my tablet if it's near by to browse the web and such.
But I have to admit, if the iPad isn't near by I just use my phone or computer in the other room, the iPad has to already be basically in front of me otherwise I just use my phone.

Basically, I think I should sell my iPad xD

I use a mid range Android phone but never for media consumption. I have absolutely no intention of wasting my money on some silly phablet and I don't use my 7" Android tablet at all, it's a white elephant along with my laptop. If I want to watch video, play games, stream etc. I have a TV and a desktop PC for such things.

One of the primary reasons I did not jump on the hype train for a iPad or another tablet. The closest thing I guess is my Surface Pro which technically is a tablet but I use that now for work more than anything (Easy to carry around on the server floor). I still use it but I can safely say that my smart phone since I got it has been more than enough of a tablet to me hence why I never went out and got one (Started 3G when it was new).

That's been my point for a while once 5.5-5.7 inch smartphone came onboard. I made the same point about how smartphones (especially cheap ones) would soon make it pointless to buy MP3 players and fast forward the iPod is a dying business. I still think there is a market for tablets but it's in the 10-13 inch sizes.

Bought the kindle fire hd a while back and ever since transferring from my S3 to my LG G3, don't use any sort of tablet.

That's been my point for a while once 5.5-5.7 inch smartphone came onboard. I made the same point about how smartphones (especially cheap ones) would soon make it pointless to buy MP3 players and fast forward the iPod is a dying business. I still think there is a market for tablets but it's in the 10-13 inch sizes.
I guess I am weird but I would never give up my Zen with physical buttons as my MP3 player. I love being able to control the device without having to pull it out of my pocket to see what I am touching. I do use my phone at times if I want to use Pandora but it is annoying having to keep taking it out in order to know what I am pressing.

For years Apple pushed back against the bigger phones and told us in their commercials that their phones were small to fit your hand. Looks like they knew exactly what they were doing by keeping larger phones out of their product line. It was all just a good strategy to sell people both phones and tablets.
Eventually it looks like they realized it was time to sell the bigger phone and just accept that tablet sales would fall off.
Well played Apple, although this only makes me happier that I never bought either a phone or a tablet from them.

I heard a rumor that Apple is going to make an iPad micro, only 5" diagonal, for those who find the iPhone 6 too large ... :-d

Back