iPOD running on Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperCheetah

I know some of you guys have seen this, but here is proof that the iPOD does run on Windows using just one program. They tested this with a Soundblaster Audigy (knew I made a good investment with mine :) ).

http://www.envynews.com/review.php?ID=41
Neil YatesMonday, April 08, 2002

What’s better than an Apple iPod? What about an Apple iPod with Microsoft Windows platform support? The ultimate MP3 player just became better, thanks to MediaFour’s clever engineering of software called XPlay. Before, the best MP3 players were Windows only. But now, the tables have turned – the best MP3 player is Macintosh-compatible only. With the use of MediaFour’s XPlay Technology Preview 5, Apple’s FireWire-accessible Hard Disk-powered MP3 player can now be enjoyed and utilized on Windows-compatible computers as well.

Lastly, it’s a bit on the expensive side – but, careful research reveals that the 1.8†Toshiba hard disk is NOT cheap. Remove the $269 US price tag of the 5GB drive, and you’re left with a $80 US CPU, 32MB memory, neodymium earbuds, Lithium-Polymer battery pack, charger, FireWire cable – well, you get my point. Take it apart, and the value becomes evident – you get a digital audio player the size of a deck of cards and can hold as many as 2600 MP3 songs, 20,000 2-megapixel camera shots, for not much cash. The addition of Windows-compatible software doubles its value to those that are multi-platform users. Of course, Apple wanted to keep this gem to themselves, but now us PC users can finally play with the world’s best MP3 player. In short, this is the best digital audio player I’ve ever used; this is one player that I’ll be carrying in my hands, and not hiding in a pocket.

Could be a future invest for me if the price comes down a little...

Wasn't that posted on the site some time ago? A company had developed software to up/download soft to an iPod.

Yeah it was, but this review actually shows it working with screenshots and all. It talks about the performance and specs of this setup. I thought it deserved its own thread.

Says Apple would like to have kept it for themselves. Why???? By it being able to work on the windows platform that increases there potential customers enormously.

My guess is to attract new customers to Apple. I think Steve Jobs is way to stuck up to allow for the iPod to be ported to Windows by Apple itself. Since it is his company's creation I guess he feels it should stay with his company.

Jobs' pride is hurting right now because he is losing market share every year, so my guess is that this is a way to restore some of that lost pride.

Apple is crazy to try and keep the iPod to themselves. Ive been following this Xplay software for awhile and if it really comes to the point that I can get almost all the functionality of the iPod on my PC, Im gonna buy one. I think alot of people will. On the flip side, there is no way that Im going to buy an Apple computer so I can have an iPod. The best thing Apple can do is implement iPod support into Quicktime and have PC users pay to upgrade to an iPod ready Quicktime version. This way apple gets the iPod sale plus the Quicktime upgrade cost. They better take the 40 bucks per person for the Quicktime upgrade because their not gonna get any new Apple users from the iPod.

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
because he is losing market share every year
Really? I'm not sure they are losing market share every year. I haven't researched it - But I thought Apple was gaining market share recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back