IPS LED Monitor

Should i buy the HP 21.5" ips full hd led monitor?

• YES, buy the 21.5" ips led monitor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO, look for a 23" ips led monitor

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • NO, buy the toshiba full hd led tv

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

misor

My current led monitors: LG 20", Acer 20" ; both at 1600x900 resolution so I am currently looking for a 23" max size Full HD LED Monitor.

I found the following appealing:
a. 23" toshiba full hd led tv (I forgot the model, not available online but available at a local store about 2-hour drive)
about P10,000 with additional discount if bought cash before november 15, 2013

b. 21.5" hp model: HP 21.5" 22FI IPS LED
pc express philippine local store listed available at P6,850.00 (1$ u.s. ~ 43 philippine peso)
available in cebu city, about an overnight sea trip (plus 2-hour drive to port of origin)

c. 23" ips led monitor, not available

HP 21.5" 22FI IPS LED
Features:
Amazing angles with IPS
• In-plane Switching (IPS), the color-rich technology you know and love in tablets, mobile devices, and televisions, is now available in a micro-thin, 21.5-inch diagonal Full HD 1 display designed for the home.
• Share videos, photos, games, and more with striking 178° horizontal and 178° vertical viewing angles – so you can accurately view images and colors from almost any direction. Less distortion. Less blurring. Happy spectators.
• The difference is in the screen. IPS technology delivers higher color fidelity than conventional TN (Twisted Nematic) panels. That means image and color consistency from almost any angle.
• Stay connected to current and evolving devices with easy access to built-in VGA, digital DVI and HDMI inputs.
• Enjoy a crisp, detailed view with Full HD 1 1920 X 1080 resolution.
• 10,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio 2 makes a difference. Give your photos, videos, and online games 3 more depth and see the difference with deeper blacks and whiter whites that create a more vivid and visible color spectrum.
• The smooth surface panel reflects light downward and reduces screen glare with no loss of contrast.
• Reflected light does not reach your eyes from the entire display surface, therefore the picture from the display is clear and not washed out.
P6,850.00
---
games I play: diablo 2 lod, diablo 3, sc2: wol, sc2: hots, left4dead, left4dead 2, metro 2033, dota 2
other programs I use: avidemux, handbrake, format factory.

current video cards: nvidia 9800gt 1gb ddr3, nvidia g210 512mb ddr3, built-in hd2000, built-in hd4000

still looking for nvidia gtx760 (largely unavailable in the philippines), budget = 12000php-15000php

I have no budget for the listed and available gtx 770 priced at 21450php
EVGA GTX770 2GB GDDR5 256BIT (02G-P4-2774-KR)
http://pcx.com.ph/components/graphics-card/evga/evga-gtx770-2gb-gddr5-256bit-02g-p4-2774-kr.html
---
which product would benefit me most: 21.5" hp ips led monitor, 23" toshiba hd led tv, or should I look further for a 23" ips led monitor?

You dont really play demanding games, so try to get a GTX 760, or even better, a R9-280 or 280X, or even a 7970. The AMD cards are better value for the price. But unfortunately, SC2 doesnt like AMD cards as much. I would still take them over nVidia though and use that saved money toward a 23 inch IPS. Dont bother with TVs since they have a very high response time.

Since monitor aspect ratios have gone down from 16:10 to 16:9, vertical screen height has become a problem. Especially if you want to do any imaging work. Screen height falls short, (yeah, that's a bad pun), when you attempt working on a photo in the "portrait" orientation.

Generally speaking, the get the same screen height as any 16:10 monitor, you have to buy a panel a couple of inches larger.

In no circumstance would I consider a 16:9 (1920 x 1080) in a size smaller than 23.+ inches. However, the way prices are falling on IPS panels, believe it or not, you can get a 27" IPS for as low as $200.00!

Another personal prejudice, I think this recent crop of LED monitors are dull.With brightness ratings as low as 200 nits, you may have to light a candle to see if they're turned on...

My best panel is an HP 24" IPS, (16:10 @ 1920 x 1200), with a standard CCFL back light. The brightness is 350 nits, and it's big, bright, and beautiful.

Acer is pushing IPS 27" screens at an alleged 300nits, and priced in the low two hundreds. (@ Newegg) They only have DVI & D-Sub (analog) outputs. I expect that part of the savings comes from not having to pay royalties for an HDMI interface.

BTW, I think you should have added an option for "none of the foregoing", in your poll.

BTW, I think you should have added an option for "none of the foregoing", in your poll.
thanks for a very informative piece,captaincranky, except you missed this part:
My current led monitors: LG 20", Acer 20" ; both at 1600x900 resolution so I am currently looking for a 23" max size Full HD LED Monitor.
:p
we in the philippines don't have the luxury of selections at good prices like in the great u.s.a. .
the 21.5" full hd ips made by hp is the first affordable ips monitor I saw.

I found a product with 16:10 aspect ratio:
Dell UltraSharp™ U2412M 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor. With a crystal clear full high definition resolution of 1920x1200 pixels with a 16:10
but at P17,250 (out of my reach), no hdmi, and available only in metro manila about 900kms from my mountain hideout :D
listed as 369.99$ at dell u.s.a. website (so about P15909.57 plus 12%vat = P17818.72 at 43pesos/$; the listed price is okay)

[FONT=Arial]Quick Specs[/FONT]
Device Type:LED-backlit LCD monitor - 24"
Built-in Devices:USB hub
Panel Type:IPS
Aspect Ratio:Widescreen - 16:10
Native Resolution:1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz
Pixel Pitch:0.27 mm
Brightness:300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio:1000:1 / 2000000:1 (dynamic)
Response Time:8 ms
Color Support:16.7 million colors
Input Connectors DVI-D, VGA, DisplayPort
Display Position Adjustments:Height, pivot (rotation), swivel, tilt
Screen Coating:Anti-glare, 3H Hard Coating
Dimensions (WxDxH):21.9 in x 7.1 in x 20.2 in - with stand
Weight:13.7 lbs

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]other products listed online (local store in manila):[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Dell S2440L 61cm (24") LED monitor[/FONT] priced at P10,580, not IPS, [FONT=Arial]1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Asus VX239H LED Monitor priced atP8,888, [/FONT][/FONT]AH-IPS,1920x1080
I like this and since it's within my budget, I'll be looking for this tomorrow at a nearby city (2-hour drive) if this is recommended.

OK then, sorry for the rant and the misdirection.

With that in mind, unless you're going to use it for imaging work, the TV is a viable alternative. I have a cheapie, (at the time), "Proscan" 40" (CCFL backlight), full high def TV. It's big, bright, and the colors are bold and candy. And so might be fun for mostly gaming.

You have to be very careful with smaller TVs though. Sometimes, (perhaps oftentimes), they sneak a TN panel into the 26" range. Get below the unit, and look up. TNs poor viewing angle, and negative color shift, will jump right out at you from the low angle.

I have to say for non critical uses, such as watching movies and such, I much prefer my TV, over any of my monitors. But for reading text and Photoshop, the smaller monitors are better. I do sympathize with you. I know when you're only getting a shot a one out of two things you need, there are unfortunate compromises to be made.

Cons to a TV:
- They lie on refresh rates, and these are usually below 60hz for cheapies.
- Space between pixels is usually greater, making text and sharp lines worse.
- The response time is higher.
- Lack of connectivity
- HDMI ports have overscan turned on by default, which not all TV's can turn off.

Back