IPv4 Challenges

Hi All,

There are 254 IPv4 addresses in our subnet. I assumes that to take a simple way out by saying that I to combine two network from the old building with the new building joined together, I'll be into a serious IP networking problems. The combine network equipment will exceed 254 (not to mention future requirement). This option will render Windows DHCP service and some devices will be disconnected from network or unable to connect at all. The new head office building is a three story building. Sud dividing the network may be the answer!

This brings a question or two, how do I interconnect the networks? What equipment type would be suitable to interconnect the networks given that the new head office IT will host the master servers for (pronto, emails, internet, active directory, FSMO roles, etc) that other network servers would need in order to communicate with or users to access IT services from and why?

Therefore, your network expertise advice would be grateful & really appreciated that can help me to take this challenge.

Cheers,
Moqai

When you say you only have 254 addresses, I assume the first three sets of numbers are the same. To increase the number of addresses available change the third set to a different address.

192.168.(0 to 254).(0 to 254)

Once you assign the first three sets of numbers for your networks address, DHCP will assign the four from a predefined range of values.

Thank you very much for the response in such short time.

Any idea regarding my two questions I stated.

For illustration:
  • one router has address 192.168.1.1 and up to 253 devices
  • (notice: *.1 is the router, *.0 is unusable and *.255 is the broadcast address)
  • the other has address 192.168.2.1 and up to 253 addresses
? how can they share resources and/or map each others shares?

you need persistent routes in each router pointing to the other

first force the link from A-> to B to always be at the *.253 connection

then
in 192.168.1.1 you add a route like 192.168.2.0/24 -> 192.168.1.253
and
in in 192.168.2.1 you add a route like 192.168.1.0/24 -> 192.168.2.253

any system on 1.1 can ping any system on 2.1
and thus print/file sharing should map also

Btw: each router uses its own DHCP to handle allocation on that router.

The remaining question is how to link A => B when distance is more than 100 meters.

Back