TechSpot

IPXCATEX.EXE gone but not forgotten!

By ArmyofKirb
Oct 31, 2005
  1. Here's the skinny: Despite having deleted IPXCATEX.EXE, and removing any registry entries referring to it, I'm still having problems.
    Here's what I notice: 1.A slow but continual system slow down. 2. Eventually I get dialog boxes saying IPXCATEX.EXE can't reference a memory address (0x00004837, etc.) 3. I get a notice that Windows is critically low on virtual memory. 4. When shutting-down/restarting, I get a dialog box that says IPXCATEX.EXE DLL failed to initialize because the system is shutting down.
    This problem originates out of a Trojan/hijack that I had last week. I used AdAware, Spybot, About Buster, CWShredder, and Hijack This to solve the Trojan problem, but it looks like it wasn't completely taken care of.
    What do you suggest I do? I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks for your time and consideration,

Kirby

2. ArmyofKirb

ArmyofKirb TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 70

Here's the Error Window I get while shutting down

IPXCATEX.EXE DLL Initialization Failed

The Application failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down.

I hope this sheds some additional light on my problem...

3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

That file does have NO reference anywhere!

In Windows Explorer, turn on "show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.
    Then do a Find on it.

Check in your System logfiles if there is any reference to a DLL belonging to that ipxcatex file.

4. ArmyofKirb

RBS,

How would I check my system logfiles? I don't think I've ever had the occasion to look at them...

5. ArmyofKirb

Would it be beneficial for me to post a HijackThis log file?

6. RealBlackStuff

7. ArmyofKirb

HijackThis logfile

Here's the text file...

I found entries under the applicaton log. Here's an example:

Date: 11/1/05 Source: Application Error
    Time: 9:57:36PM Category: None
    Type: Error Event ID: 1000
    User: N/A

Description: Faulting application ipxcatex.exe, vesion 0.0.0.0. faulting module, version 0.0.0.0. fault address 0x00000000.

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
    0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
    0010: 75 72 65 20 20 69 70 78 ure ipx
    0018: 63 61 74 65 78 2e 65 78 catex.ex
    0020: 65 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 2e e 0.0.0.
    0028: 30 20 69 6e 20 20 30 2e 0 in 0.
    0030: 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 61 74 0.0.0 at
    0038: 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 offset
    0040: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 00000000
    0048: 0d 0a ..

Sorry about the large amount of text... Any clue as to how to rectify this?

8. RealBlackStuff

Your log is clean.
    Try and do a Find for files containing the word IPXCATEX and check your registry as well.

9. ArmyofKirb

I've already deleted the registry entries that contained any reference to ipxcatex.exe. I was at work when a moment of inspiration hit me. I remember last week when I was running Symantec AV instead of AVG, and I remember the warnings it gave me about ipxcatex.exe and another file (a DLL.) Since I don't have any other leads to go on, I'm going to re-install Symantec, find the file in question, delete it and any references to it, and hope for the best. If it takes care of it, I will un-install Symantec AV again....

10. ArmyofKirb

11. ArmyofKirb

I've been delving into my registry a little further and have come up with more stuff...The IPXCATEX.EXE file seems to be a part of Search Assistant, and I'm working hard to delete the registry entries...I'll keep ya posted...

12. ArmyofKirb

Holy Cow! I've found literally dozenz upon dozens of entries left over from the Trojan....Scary!

13. ArmyofKirb

I've determined that my browser (Firefox) had some lingering references to ipxcatex.exe somewhere within it. For the time being, I've uninstalled Firefox and I'm going to use Opera for a few days. Hopefully, I won't have any more problems and then I can re-install Firefox...The moral of the story is kids: "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.