TechSpot

Iridium's satellite hotspot promises to bring Wi-Fi to almost every corner of the planet

1. Ever thought of being able to connect to a Wi-Fi network any and everywhere? Satellite communications company Iridium has developed a portable satellite-based hotspot designed to provide 24x7 connectivity to your handheld devices, no matter where you are on the...

Read more

2. 'but still better than no connectivity at all'

I'm not sure I agree with this...I go to secluded areas for this very reason. :)

3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

800 bucks... Yeah, right.

4. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,319   +709

The must-have Xmas gift this year for your South American apocalypse survival compound.

5. Imgaine this in the hands of doctors, help stations, disaster relief & response, etc etc, awesomely cool

6. lmike6453

lmike6453 TS Enthusiast Posts: 100   +6

Love the idea, dislike the implementation...
    20kb/sec --> $800 device PLUS data charges/plan

I don't see anything about lifetime warranty to boast their confidence in it's durability

7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,552   +854

if your work required you be in secluded areas often, theres no reason not to drop $800 once for the convenience. For people like you and me? nah. But for biologists and such...

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

Not so unrealistic if you have 5 parties willing to split the cost in a secluded area without other options.
    Especially if after 2015, the bandwidth is increased 75 times its current speeds. My only question is if the current device will support the new fleet of satellites, or if a new device will be needed. I do wonder though if the connection rate is shared or if each connected device has it's own bandwidth at the specified rate. My guess would be the connection is shared, but it wasn't specifically detailed to be.

Please keep in mind this is not for those who would like to remain secluded. This is an option for those who are secluded and wish not to be.

9. So an interested user needs 800$ to purchase it to have wifi almost anywhere.. maybe greenpeace will find a new battleground because wifi kills plants...

10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Point taken but if that's the case, shouldn't your work foot the bill? Different story if you work for yourself and require something like this. Nonetheless still I feel that's a ridiculous price to pay for something like this.

11. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,506   +498

If my work had to put me in a secluded location, I would make the effort to buy one of these or made the company do so. It's an excellent idea that will only improve with time.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  12. Skidmarksdeluxe

My thoughts exactly and hopefully prices will drop because 800 big ones is absolutely ridiculous.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  13. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

For $800 and 20Kbit speed I would expect a device that offers completely free connectivity without limitations. Anything short of that is a rip-off.

14. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

I suppose they could offer a 10K device for $400. Is that not the way it works with manufacturing products?

15. Completely agree! Do we really need internet access everywhere?

However, if countries can afford to buy this tech and launch this themselves, it's got to be better than letting Facebook fly drones above you. Does ANYBODY not foresee some serious issues with letting Facebook have access to our world's skies!

16. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,552   +854

the bump of a champion
    but while youre at it. youre right! facebook must not have access to the skies! they will surely use it to provide mass coverage for their brainwashing device! quick! get the tin foil hats!

17. Skidmarksdeluxe

Wouldn't it be far easier and cheaper just to turn your devices off?