IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL during laptop XP installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello (thanks to anyone in advance that can help)

My name is Dusty Norris, I am from Mobile, AL. Where people insist on giving me there computer problems in hope that I can fix them, expecting me to fix them for free. Being the nice guy I am, I try.

Anyways here is my problem. The computer is a Compaq Presario 1200 laptop. I was formatting the C: drive and putting a new operating system on there (Win XP). When I got it formatted and went into Bios to make the disk drive the first to start up and after I did that and restarted it. The weirdest installation screen came up (solid blue screen w/ Windows Setup in the top left hand cornor and grey lign across the bottom which says installing files. After it would go through this the first time, I selected which drive C: of course then I selected Fat32 and about 10-20 secs later a blue screen came up which read the following:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

then it said if this is the first time restart(blah, blah)
Then is said if if this happens again try to disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing (this bios is shadowed, but that option is not on the bios)

Then is says to restart in safe mode, but it can't b/c it has nothing to start up in b/c it is formatted.

Can you please help????

Thank you and God bless
Dusty Norris

AIM: Jdust55

Run ramtest

For brand new XP installation, this error is usually caused by faulty ram. Download memtest from www.memtest86.org. Create a bootable floppy diskette. Boot your new PC from ramtest floopy. Stress test the memory. If your PC cannot pass ramtest, your PC has faulty RAM.

irql not less or equal errors during xp install to replace vista

Ok folks,

Here's the deal. If you manage a format of a single hard drive in a system and your getting the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error it has nothing to do with drivers BUT everything to do with BIOS setup options.

After buying a dell system with crappy Vista on it, I wanted to install windows XP Pro. First I had to turn of ACHI in BIOS for the Hard Drive type. Second, I had to disable a number of other BIOS features that comes with many of the new Dell systems.

Once Windows XP is loaded install other related drivers for the system using a driver install cd or downloading the drivers for that particular system at Dell.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back