Is 72 degrees normal for a H100?

childofthetao

Hi, when I run OCCT my max temps after five minutes go up to 72 degrees.I have a 4770K running at stock speeds. I honestly expected much lower max temps from a H100, is that normal?

Yeah like Clifford said, 72C isnt that bad. But it isnt great. I would recommend reseating the cooler and replacing the fans on the radiator. That is the best bet. The thermal paste comes reapplied on the cooler so you will need to thoroughly clean it before applying a new batch.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, (yes, really), but couldn't you get 65 or 70C, with any one of a dozen or so, high quality air coolers? Particularly if the 4770 isn't overclocked.

Well I don;t know, I just expected much lower temps, 65 doesn't give me much OC room.

When I first turn on my computer, for about five seconds I hear the fans on the H100 spin up, they sound much louder then when I'm doing stress tests. Is it possible the fans aren't spinning up to full speed?

Last edited:
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, (yes, really), but couldn't you get 65 or 70C, with any one of a dozen or so, high quality air coolers? Particularly if the 4770 isn't overclocked.
I was thinking of going the sealed watercooled unit route, but after much research it turns out my "high quality air cooler" is not only quieter, less expensive, but also out performs these off the shelf units. If you want better, you will have to go for 'full on' watercooling that gives you a larger reservoir, better pump for more pump flow, bigger radiator, better block. A package, lets say from EKWB though will likely cost 4 or 5 times as much as that H100 unit.

Just checked, cpu kit from EKWB ranges from 183 euro to 276 euro, including VAT (sorry, didn't want to do the math to subtract it). If you are not in Europe, subtract VAT, add own country's tax and add shipping. Whew! Anyway, prices in CAD are $276 to $415 with caveats mentioned above. Too much money for me. Stuff sure looks awesome though.

It's actually 65, there's a panel that covers the fan, I removed it. I'm gonna try reapplying the paste again.
No matter what, if your at stock and your running an H100/h100i then that temp is way to high in my book. Ive got friends with the 4770k on Single 120mm Radiators that are keeping the temps below 60 overclocked to around 4.3ghz on one of them I know for sure (This tested under prime95) because I helped him with that.

My suggestion is to re-seat the cooler with a very thin layer of thermal paste (Overdoing it can cause temp problems) and make sure the system is tightly down. One easy way to make sure heat is getting transferred correctly is to feel the tubing and Radiator (Just dont touch anything else on the inside of course) while is running stress test and see how hot it gets. If the tubing it getting really hot yet the radiator is staying cool chances are you have a weak pump (Also check in bios that the spot the pump cord is hooked to is set to something like performance mode or high mode). Otherwise then its either a seating problem or something with airflow for the radiator.

That is way too high you're doing something wrong.
You can perhaps expect that kind of temperature at 4.5+ ghz depending on ambient.

Are you running Speedfan or something similar that is throttling the fan RPM? Or is your mobo BIOS/UEFI set to quiet mode?

That might be the case, any idea where I might be able to find that setting?
Well on an MSI board with UEFI the setting should say something like a "Settings" column/button, under that you should get a list of all the fans and speed settings to adjust. It should look something like this LINK (Note: Thats a Z68 bios but they have not changed it much up to Z87).

Back