TechSpot

is a 64-bit processor really necessary?

By lordxanthrax
Jul 30, 2005
  1. ok...this is my situation. I can either buy a 3.0E Prescott at 3.0 ghz for my socket 478, or, wait further down the road (6 months to a YEAR), and buy a new motherboard, and an amd 64-bit, or intel 775 64-bit processor, and then have to get new ram as well :(. The question is though, is a 64-bit processor REALLY going to be necessary in a year or two's time. Are games and applications going to be specifically based on 64-bit processing and people with 32-bit will be just out of luck? Or will these processors just run things faster...and i'll be fine still with my 3.0ghz 32-bit processor. Anyone have a clue about this?

2. whitesealstudio

whitesealstudio TS Rookie

Although I'm not an expert on 64-bit processing I have heard several claims of 64-bit users who have stated the increase in performance is incredible. Winzip 64 unzipped a file in 10 minutes vs 30 on 32 bit winzip. If all your going to be using your computer for is games I can't see 64-bit games springing up as fast as 64-bit applications would. Games are technically designed for whats considered low-mid computer users and they try not to incorporate newer technology untill its tested and a large majority of users own it. Applications tend to veer toward the power user or server/workstation because most people aren't using 3d max or Avid on home computers. I'd bet you will see high-end creation software going 64-bit before games. By the time 64-bit is required all processors will encorporate 64-bit technology anyway, low or high-end.

3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

These 64-bit processors also run fine in 32-bit so what's the problem ? If you have no problems with your current setup, stick with it & look at your options a few months down the line.

4. lordxanthrax

lordxanthrax TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 25

No...i'm not saying will they run 32-bit, i'm saying are applications going to need 64-bit processors to run them in the near future.

5. Justin

Justin TS Rookie Posts: 942

Just like when we went from the 286 to the 386, then later from the 486 to the pentium, the amount of time before you will have to get a newer processor that supports newer features is most likely going to be about 5 years, possibly even more. In any case, it'll be much longer than the lifespan of a typical computer, so odds are when the time comes that the turning point is reached, say 50% of shelved software requiring a 64bit processor, you'll likely have upgraded before then.

6. lordxanthrax

lordxanthrax TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 25

alright, thanks for the replies. I just wasn't sure with windows vista coming out as 64-bit, because as i know many people still use windows 2000, but that is also 32-bit, and not so much really a speed jump as it is as much of a GUI/ease of use/flexibility jump.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.