Is a AMD Sempron 3100+ any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShannanCarlock

Is a AMD Sempron 3100+ any good? What is the differences between it and an AMD Athlon XP 2400+? There is a choice on a website between a Sempron 3100+ and Athlon XP 2400+ w/ mobo for the same price. Which is a better performer?

The AMD Sempron 3100+ is by far the better performer.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16936

Regards Howard
santa2.gif

The Sempron 3100+ is a socket 754 chip, i.e. the same socket as lower-end Athlon 64s, it offers substantially higher peformance than an Athlon 2400+ (mainly due to its integrated memory controller), but does not have 64 bit extensions enabled.

However, if you are considering one, I would advise against it, as for only around £10 extra you can buy an Athlon 64.

Th3M1ghtyD8 said:
The Sempron 3100+ is a socket 754 chip, i.e. the same socket as lower-end Athlon 64s, it offers substantially higher peformance than an Athlon 2400+ (mainly due to its integrated memory controller), but does not have 64 bit extensions enabled.

However, if you are considering one, I would advise against it, as for only around £10 extra you can buy an Athlon 64.

While we're on the subject of sockets :), I've not been following the development of things for a while and now I've got some reading up to do.
I've been looking at some of the motherboards and the specs, what is going to be the next socket AMD will use?

Everything has been socketA for a while now, but now i see socket940/939/754. I'm just wondering what will be the next socketA for AMD's 64bit cpu's?

Really good question. The reason I ask about the Sempron and 2400+ is that I am building a cpu for a friend of mine and the site that I am ordering the case from allows you to spec out a few items and buy at the same time. In the cpu & motherboard drop down they offer a "3100+ AMD Athlonron Pro" and an Atlon XP 2400+ with motherboard and cooling fan for $119 total. After I posted with yall and did some more reasearch I found that the only cpu that AMD has that is listed as 3100+ is the Sempron. I'm sure that the add is a typo and Athlonron is a combination of sempRON and Athlon as it is the only AMD to run 3100+. Does this sound correct to yall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back