TechSpot

Is cooling of the voltage regulators necessary on the 8800gt?

By ryan29121
Jan 18, 2008
  1. Im about to attach the AC Accelero S1 GPU cooler to my 8800gt. I was wondering if the small voltage regulators on the right side of the card need heat sinks attached to them for more cooling. I would rather not spend the extra money to buy after market heat sinks. If they are recommended I will attach them. What do you think? The voltage regulators that I am talking about are shown in the picture below. Thanks in advance for your help.

[​IMG]

2. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 872   +12

I'm going to say if the original heatsink cooled the voltage regulators then you should cool them too.

3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

All the websites that tested the aftermarket coolers tended to say yes. On the other hand Gigabyte for example has a 8800GT with non-standard heatsink/fan & they don't have cooling on the voltage regulators (at least besides the airflow that they get from the fan).

4. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

More often than not the cooling for the GPU interferes with the cooling of the other components to the extent that they have to include them. I would just make sure that you do not prevent a general airflow over the components through cables getting in the way.

5. ryan29121

ryan29121 TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 173

Is there any particular heat sinks that you recommend? If so where can I buy them at? Thanks

6. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

I recommend the Zalman VF900 for having used it for about a year. You can get it from many online stores (such as newegg) but I don't know where you live so I can't advise you.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.