Is cooling of the voltage regulators necessary on the 8800gt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan29121

Im about to attach the AC Accelero S1 GPU cooler to my 8800gt. I was wondering if the small voltage regulators on the right side of the card need heat sinks attached to them for more cooling. I would rather not spend the extra money to buy after market heat sinks. If they are recommended I will attach them. What do you think? The voltage regulators that I am talking about are shown in the picture below. Thanks in advance for your help.

zalman1.jpg

I'm going to say if the original heatsink cooled the voltage regulators then you should cool them too.

All the websites that tested the aftermarket coolers tended to say yes. On the other hand Gigabyte for example has a 8800GT with non-standard heatsink/fan & they don't have cooling on the voltage regulators (at least besides the airflow that they get from the fan).

More often than not the cooling for the GPU interferes with the cooling of the other components to the extent that they have to include them. I would just make sure that you do not prevent a general airflow over the components through cables getting in the way.

I recommend the Zalman VF900 for having used it for about a year. You can get it from many online stores (such as newegg) but I don't know where you live so I can't advise you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back