is DVI2VGA better than VGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have an ATI Radeon 9700 card with DVI output but a normal monitor. I use 1280*1024 and see some "waving" colors when on webpages, for instance the green on a page with a green background will wave a little bit. Kinda stupid with a big-bucks-card. The monitor is a compaq 19" 9500 series. I think the resolution is set at about 108Hz.
Little question is: can this be fixed? (Comments like turning to a lower resolution isn't an answer)

Actual question: will I get a better quality on my CRT monitor if I use the DVI output with a VGA adapter over the old VGA output?
And is the fixed resolution on DVI monitors set by the card or the monitor? Because most DVI monitors only support 1024*768.

TIA!

I would expect it to be the same quality output, although it may be a little better or worse. The difference won't be that large, as if it was, many more people would be doing it.

I'd expect the DAC on a high end card like radeon 9700 to be better than in some cheap adapter. If you want to try out that adapter thingy, make sure you get quality stuff, not something el cheapo.

There's shouldn't be an benefit from using the DVI output anyway, as regards the problem can you try lowering the refresh rate instead of the resolution then? 108Hz might be a bit high, 100 or 85 might fix the problem

At high resolutions and refresh rates the DVI connector will be worse than the analog out. as DVI is limited in bandwidth. I think DVI is limited to 85 Hz (75 Hz?) at 1280x1024 and 60 Hz at 1600x1200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back