Is hijackthis clean on dad's computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames82

It didn't take long for the nephews to mess up dad's computer. since dad is no longer with us, I wanted to make sure that little sister gets a computer with a clean bill of health. I know there is more I have to do, like AVG scan, etc. please check out his hijackthis and advise. thanks, Ed James

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    9.1 KB · Views: 6
The only thing I see wrong is the running process alcxmntr.exe. That's a spyware file by Realtek, the maker of some integrated sound chipsets. Go into the Windows Task Manager by pressing ctrl, then alt, then delete, in that order, then releasing them. Go to the "processes" tab and end the process for (if there):

ALCXMNTR.EXE

Then go into C:\Windows and delete the file ALCXMNTR.EXE (if there).

I strongly suggest that you read this thread and follow its instructions on downloading and running AVG Antivirus (unless you already have an antivirus program; if you do, please post here what it is).

Cheers :)

This thread is for the use of ejames82 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in the Security and the Web forum.

kitty,
here is the agv log. i thought that the programme quarantined and removed what it detected. i will continue with the sticky, and with your recommendation. thanks, Ed James

kitty,
i ended the process for ALCXMNTR.EXE. there is an anti-virus program on this computer, fsecure. there is a problem with it, i think, because i tried to scan with it in safe mode and i couldn't get the interface to pop up. i scanned with housecall and nothing was found. i will continue on with the sticky. thanks, Ed James

jesse,
fsecure has a fabulous reputation for detection, but not being able to scan in safe mode is disturbing. i am going to give them a call and see if this is their fault or the computer's fault. thanks, Ed James

Go into C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Cookies and delete all files in that folder. If index.dat doesn't delete, that's fine, but delete all the other files.

Do the same in C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_owner\Cookies and C:\Documents and Settings\J\Cookies.

I think you may need to disable system restore or something, but I'd need howard or rik to back me up on that, since I'm not too experienced at that yet.

Cheers :)

This thread is for the use of ejames82 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in the Security and the Web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back