Is it a starchat problem or my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been in a senior chat room for years and yesterday I was unable to access it from the desktop. The connect box would open and when I clicked CONNECT, it would never open. I went to the starchat help and they had me uninstall everything to do with the irc and reinstall, did that, same problem. The starchat stays hanging out in my tool bar but nothing makes it open even though we did everything right. They have no idea what to tell me now. Could it be something in my puter that's making this happen? Could it be the weather??? I'm stumped and need some clues to get any further. To make it worse, I own the room and now I can't even get in it.

I am not sure if this is a mobile device problem but I would like to help you if I can.
after figuring out what starchat is I see that there is a web based version which uses java and a mIRC or PIRCH client. that brings me to the question of which way do you use starchat, web based or installed mIRC client?

let me know and we will see how to get this solved hopefully.

regards, mscrx

Thanks for answering. I have downloaded Starchat pirch and have been using it for years but all of a sudden when I click on it the connect page opens but it never takes me to the site. It stays in the taskbar and when I right click there is no option to maximize it, just close and restore. Only close works. I've been to the Starchat help and done every conceivable thing they've told me which includes many attempts at solving the problem. The odd thing is that when I go to Starchat help they tell me I'm connected to my chat room but I have absolutely no way to get there. In the meantime I downloaded Mirc and although it works, it's not as user friendly and more difficult to read. I have a six month old laptop, never have had a problem with Starchat for ten years. Go figure. I'd love to use starchat but can't come up with a solution.

ok, thanks for the information. well it seems to be a problem out of windows not your laptop. there is a few things to start with. first of all go to 'my desktop' and right mouse click the shortcut to pirch, then select properties and go to the tab 'shortcut'. there you find 'target', 'start in', 'shortcut key', 'run' and 'comment'. in the 'run' line select maximized if it wasn't already and click apply and ok to close.
then click on the 'start' button, select 'run...' and type in 'regedit'. the registry editor will open. browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Pirch98 and check if there is a regkey named InitialPosition. If so then delete this single key.
can you also tell us what the help guys told you and what you already tried?

MSCRX You're a wonder!!!!!!!!!! After hours and hours with starchat and computer techs you're the one who solved the problem. You are wonderful!!!! It WAS the setting!!! When I changed it to maximize the problem was solved. I never had to do the second part of your suggestions but out of curiosity I'd like ask you this. You said to go to Start and Run in your second paragraph. Did you mean Start on desktop or on the Pirch? If you meant desktop I've never found a RUN on it. I'm on Vista and finding things are a bit different than former windows. Anyway I'm all set for Pirch. I wonder how that happened. I've never opened up Pirch properties ever. Can Windows make these odd things happen??? Thanks again. yaya

hey thats good news! glad I could help you.

with the second paragraph I meant the start button which opens the start menu, usually. it should be almost the same as in the former windows versions, but in vista as far as I remember you have a edit box in the start menu where you can type in directly - e.g. regedit - no click on 'run' first. not 100% sure because my vista laptop was not in use that much by now.

also not sure on how could that happen. only thing that comes to my mind would be if you minimized the window manually then maybe forgot about it and shut down the laptop. this would possibly save the minimized status as default for this program. but as I said, not sure...

well, enjoy your chat and have a great day
mscrx

Starchat PIrch

I am also having problems with starchat pirch. I tried the reccomendation listed below, but still cannot access starchat pirch. I am using Windows XP.

I did not see the InitialPosition name any place. I would appreciate any possible help. I do not like using mIRC for chatting.

my desktop' and right mouse click the shortcut to pirch, then select properties and go to the tab 'shortcut'. there you find 'target', 'start in', 'shortcut key', 'run' and 'comment'. in the 'run' line select maximized if it wasn't already and click apply and ok to close.
<akaloise> then click on the 'start' button, select 'run...' and type in 'regedit'. the registry editor will open. browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Pirch98 and check if there if there is a regkey named InitialPosition. If so then delete this single key.

Thank you,
Grace

please, could you describe the problem you have with pirch?

see the attached screenshot for an example of the previous solution ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back