Is it dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any one help me???I have been given a computer and when I press to turn it on,the power fan runs,but nothing lights up.The screen stays blank.It's as if it wasn't turned on.Any ideas.Thanks.

No ideas without more information than that.
What make and model is the pc?
What do you know of its history?
How long ago did it last work?
Where has it been stored?

reply to Ric

Hi Ric the comp is a creative eax.It recently had a new hard drive put in by a local repair shop.Worked for a while,then power unit went.I replaced power unit,that works but nothing else.

Creative eax???? Last i heard that was a soundcard not a pc???
Are all the other parts still in it? Like ram for example?
Does it make any bleeps? Or any other sounds?

is it dead.

Hi Rik.I had a look at the comp case again.It says creative eax,so I think that is what it is.All the parts are there,as I said,it had recently been for a new hard drive.It makes no sounds at all,except you can hear the power unit fan running.There are no lights flashing and the cpu fan is not running.Any ideas will be greatfully recived.Thanks for taking the time.mickyl

You're going to need to tell more information for us to help you. What have you done recently right before it stopped working. IF you put in a new hard drive is it configured correctly? Are the dip switches set correctly for slave and master? Are all the power cables connected right? All the data cables seated? If it is a new hard drive - is there an operating system loaded on it?

If you're getting a fan to come on, your PSU is providing some power. Are the internal power cables connected on the motherboard?

GROUND yourself before touching anything inside.
Turn all power off as well!

Break things down to the basics.

Disconnect everything except your motherboard, RAM, videocard, and power supply.

turn on computer. Do you get a POST? (Powr on Self Test)

if not, you have a hardware failure or something is not connected or seated right - possibility you also have a bad PSU (power supply) IS it adequate for your video card and motherboard? Do not use a PSU less than 450W for most newer systems. Some high end video cards require their own PSU!!!

Reseat all your RAM and video card.

If you get a post, add your other stuff one by one starting with your primary hard drive. retest...

GROUND yourself at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back