Is it my cpu or my mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

filipmike33

At first i thought my mobo was dead due to the fact i might have short it (damn static). So i went and bought a new one, installed it just now, and yet nothing coming up on the screen. Everything is spinning (fan,hd, everything) just no post. How do i know if its my mobo or processor

I dont know if you can remove a CPU after installed but you could try it in another computer and see if it works? How do you know if it's only the CPU / Mobo? It could be a Short fuse in the PSU or something like that

I tried another psu (but its only a Micro ATX) with no avail...it might be the 4pin, because before the old mobo (the one that i thought died), i tried removing the 4pin and it wouldnt come off so i kept pulling as hard as i could, will the 4pin changes the fact that nothing's coming on the screen?

It might be... So you damaged the 4pin after pulling it out or is it still normal but you think you might have messed up the pins?

The 4pin still looks the same, i guess i'll check out a new PSU to see if it is the problem. How will I know if its my processor thats messed up?

When u replace it with another one from a friends' PC or somewhere else and that one causes the PC to work normally.

filipmike33 said:
it might be the 4pin, because before the old mobo (the one that i thought died), i tried removing the 4pin and it wouldnt come off so i kept pulling as hard as i could, will the 4pin changes the fact that nothing's coming on the screen?
what "4-pin" are you talking about?

modern power supplies have 3 different 4-pin connectors... one "2x2" standalone square 12V CPU power connector, one "2x2" connector that is detachable from [but wired to the same harness as] the main 20/24-pin power connector, and several "flat" 4-pin molex connectors.

many motherboards require the square 12V CPU connector (if that's what you're referring to) to be connected, it may not POST without it.

did you physically damage any PSU connector or motherboard header by "pulling too hard"? i

filipmike33 said:
damn i guess that means i gota go buy a new psu AND processor just to see which oen is the problem
it is much more likely to be a bad PSU, there's no reason to buy a new processor until you try a new PSU first. chances are a new PSU will fix it

Unless the CPU itself is physically damaged, then it is unlikely that there is anything wrong with it, so try a new PSU first.

Tedster said:
losing a pin on a CPU when removing it is definitely not good. I am sure it is toast.
who said anything about a missing CPU pin? :confused:

:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back