Is it my graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroSkating

So this computer is new. about 1 month old now. it runs good. things run smooth and fast. WoW runs better than before on my old pc, but im still not getting the framerate or the graphic quality I'm hoping for.

I play on the lowest graphic settings in game. I usually have between 25-40ish fps. I'd like to be getting 60. Or at leaste something consistent and high for when I do raids and BG's(when framerate tends to drop more than usual).

Here are my computer specs:

HP Pavilion a4310f PC

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Dual-Core Processor
4GB DDR3 Ram
640 GB Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE

So, my question is how can I play on higher in game graphic settings and have constant good FPS? Im sure its my graphics card thats holding me back since its integrated. But is there anything else with my PC that could be holding me back as well? Let me know, Thanks

Hi Zero,
unfortunately not. the rest of your components are more capable than your IGP. you could vastly improve your gaming performance for as little as $50 with a graphics card if that's doable for you.
do you have a budget for this? and at what resolution do you play/want to play at?

1024x768 is the resolution i play at. Id just like to be able to crank up the graphic settings in game and have a higher FPS than what im running at. its as low as 15-20 in some areas, its frustrating. What graphics card could I get to meet these standards Im looking for? Something $100 or less would be the easiest for me to achieve, But if its needed I can go over that. (and would I need a larger power supply like some require?)

For WoW the HD 4670 will be plenty enough. In case you're looking to play some of the other newer games at that resolution, the Radeon HD 4770 is an excellent choice.

Thanks. So I guess it comes down to what graphics card im going to need. Im going to have to get a new power supply because mine isnt sufficient. So any links to a good sized powersupply (500w+)? That isnt over priced. I'm still not sure what graphics card im going to get. I just want good Framerate in WoW and play on good graphics settings. I got an awesome monitor, and I dont think I should settle with low quality. Considering how much i play.

A 4670 is a good choice, I used it on a machine and it works nicely for lower resolution gaming. But I personally would say go for this 4670 over the 1GB DDR2 one. Its also a bit bigger so make sure you have room.

this is an excellent PSU. dont be concerned with the 400w rating, it has 30A on the 12v rail and if you decide to go to a 6 pin graphic card such as the HD 4850 or the 9800Gt you will have no problems.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008
if you have to have a 500w PSU i recommend this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

EDIT: Relic is right, the DDR3 version is the better choice ( i missed that ) :( I just prefer the XFX for the warranty they offer. also if you can save a few bucks on the 512Mb version, do it. 1gb of memory on a low/mid card will make absolutely no difference in performance.

NP Zero, enjoy your new toys once they arrive! :D

EDIT: Relic is right, the DDR3 version is the better choice ( i missed that ) :( I just prefer the XFX for the warranty they offer. also if you can save a few bucks on the 512Mb version, do it. 1gb of memory on a low/mid card will make absolutely no difference in performance.

They are my preferred as well, their warranty offer is usually the best even if it comes at a little extra. They also have great customer support.

do you think the power supply and graphics card will fit in my pc? Just worried cause some graphics cards havent fit in my previous pc. and my friends new power supplies jack didnt line up with the opening for the cable so he had to cut some of the metal around it.

Also, should i ever increase my ram? I have 4GB currently. Two 2GB sticks in my only 2 slots. So should i get bigger sticks eventually? or is 4gb plenty?

and on another note, how can i see if my pc can hold multiple hard drives? raid or something like that

Firstly, the maximum memory for your system is 4 Gb, but you would not realize any performance gain from having more anyway. secondly you do have additional HDD bays available, here is the support page for the HP Pavilion a4310f.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...97&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4107499&lang=en

and lastly, HP, as most OEM computer sellers tell you nothing about the PSU except its wattage. for this revert to the old fashioned method. look up the dimensions of the PSU and card you want to use on newegg and do some measuring. It has been my experience with Hp pavilions and Compaqs that the PSU is often a bit smaller than the standard ATX PSU size, but have room for a standard PSU. (this excludes the slimline models)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back