Is it my PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fight2Win

I was doing my normal day routine on my comptuer checking for Spyware, Viruses etc. Then when it was fixing the spyware my computer just turned off. Im like "oh, its storming outside probably just a power outtage" then i noticed everything else turned on but my Computer, i clicked the button still wouldnt turn on, i knew it wasnt fryed cause i had Surge Protection and it didnt smell funky. So i started working on it trying to reset the Power Bar, un plugging and replugging stuff. Nothing seemed to work. So today i took the PSU out of my computer and start looking at it, all i saw was alot of dust. Didn't smell nothing but i dont know what the problem is. My computer just wont turn back on.

Specs of PSU-
450W Echo Star

I just need to know if i should buy another 450w or 500w PSU.

Before buying a new PSU check ur system with soem other PSU just to check if the problem is with the PSU another way is to get a PSu tester.

This happened before.

This happened an early time and we had to replace it, i dont know if it done it again or what. I dont have another PSU, just one in the comp im on now, and my comp which is PSU problem comp.

The computer not coming back on is not a good sign. I would get another power supply and try to restart your computer. It sounds like your power supply has crapped out cause of overheating. If your comp still don't start up, it could be another component such as the motherboard.

Yeah

Well my PSU has been making noise for quite some time, and ive been ignoring it cause i knew it was going bad, but i didnt want to get a new one at the time. Now i think it finally quit cause it just gone bad, but i dont know what do you think?

Like a I said and someone else, go get another PSU and see if your computer boots up. If it do, then you know that was the prob.

Do you think it could of been fryed cause of the storm? it was a severe thunderstorm and all the power in my room turned off then back on. I got a surge protector, so they will owe me 5000$ if it was fryed....then i wont have to worry about another PSU i will get a NEW Computer but i dont think thats the problem..

You said you never smelled anything so I don't know, it probably never caused it. Get another PSU, and hope thats the only prob, because if a thunderstorm is the cause of this, it could have ruined other components of your PC.

Read the smallprint on the surge-protector's warranty. They protect UP TO a certain amount. You'll have to proof that the protector let the 'powerspike' through, then they will pay for replacement of damaged items..

Fight2Win said:
Well my PSU has been making noise for quite some time, and ive been ignoring it cause i knew it was going bad, but i didnt want to get a new one at the time. Now i think it finally quit cause it just gone bad, but i dont know what do you think?

I'm guessing the fan was on its way out.

Was the PSU unusually quiet for a while before it died? The fan may have stopped altogether and you may have some damage to the PSU from overheating. Alot of stuff works until it is turned off then it won't work anymore. I think you might have a tough time selling this for the coverage (if you do try, don't tell them your PSU was making weird noises before).

I dno

i called a local computer store and asked them if they had any PSU they told me they got a 400 watt and a 480 watt, they said they would sell the 400 for 25$ and the 480 watt for 30$, which should i get?

Neither, IMHO.

Those sound too cheap to be of good quality. Ask the shop what kinda they are and then Google them to see their reputation.

I had a p/s go on one of my computers and it destroyed alot of stuff. Gone was my hdd, motherboard, videocard, ram.

Alright

I went to a couple computer stores today, the one that had the 480 watt for 30$ is a Standard Apex PSU, the new one and an APX 450 Watt for 60 i think its APX im not for sure. But yeah. so i dont know which one to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back