Is it necessary to update the video card drivers when a new one comes out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

au071

Is it necessary? I used to do it whenever a new one comes out but read from some where that as long as the current driver is working fine, there is no need to update.

No, you do not need to do it every time a new driver comes out. I typically do it

a) when I am having a problem with a certain game
b) if I haven't updated for 3 or 4 months.

Cheers!

I agree with DonNagual and swker98. If everything is running fine, there`s no need to upgrade your drivers just for the sake of it.

As my sig says. If it aint broke, don`t fix it!

Regards Howard :)

Thanks all.
This reminds me of something else; when I run windows update on my laptop couple days ago, it has the optional hardware update for the video card. Normally, whenever I install a new video driver, I need to uninstall the old one first. Will windows update do that automatically?

Stay away from the Windows update for your video card, and other hardware. I don`t know if Windows update will uninstall the old drivers first. Something tells me it won`t.

If you`re not having any problems with your graphics card, there is no need to install a different driver.

If you do want to update your driver. Go to your video card manufacturers website.

You`re better of getting new hardware drivers from the respective hardware manufacturers websites.

:confused: Thanx for the info guys/gals. I have never updated a driver as yet, but I also have never gone to forums, never had too many probs with what I do on compute so glad for that. I will keep this info in my brain though and check things out. So true if it aint broke dont fix...PS How do you add a quote (my own) to your reply

gearjammer said:
PS How do you add a quote (my own) to your reply

If you want to quote the entire post, then you only need to click on the quote button.

If you only want to quote part of a post, then do the following.

Copy the text that you wish to quote. Click on the reply button. Type an open square bracket [ followed by the word quote then type a closed square bracket ] Paste the text you copied, and then at the end of the text, type an open square bracket [ followed by a forward slash / followed by the word quote again, and finally a closed square bracket ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back