Is it possible to have 4 webcams?

DjKraid

Hi!

So this time I was wondering if it's possible to have 4 webcams (connected to one computer) and that all cams record at the same time?

I was planning on connecting 4 Logitech C200 webcams to one computer (via USB) and then I would need to get all the cams to record att the same time or to record "as motion sensors".

If it's possible do you think Computer no.:1 "is enough" or do I have to take the second computer?

Comp.1:
Dell Optiplex GX50
- Intel Celeron @ 1.1GHz
- 256Mb RAM (2x128Mb)
- 350W Power Supply (not original)
- Integrated graphics, Intel 82810 32Mb
- DeLock PCI USB card
- 500Gb WD IDE HDD
- WinXP Pro

Comp. 2:
- AMD Athlon XP 1800+
- 2Gb DDR RAM (2x1Gb)
- 500Gb WD IDE HDD
- ATI Radeon 9600 PRO (AGP, 128Mb)
- Integrated LAN & Audio (AC'97)
- WinXP Pro

There is software that can record from multiple cameras but I'm not sure how it works with web cams vs. normal surveillance cameras or IP cameras.

Which computer you use would really depend on the software and how the video is being recorded or encoded. The first PC may not have enough CPU or RAM to process 4 streams at one time. If you were just taking still shots then it shouldn't matter.

Yes, actually I was planning on recording at daytime @1fps and at night as "motion sensor".

What software is there?

I just got an idea, but I don't know if it would work. If I would get 4 different loogitech web cams logitechs software would recognize them all but not at once (I guess). So then I could use that software to record but the real question is that would it work, then I should have 4 copies of the software installed.

Geeze, where do you live. South side of chicago? Motion sensor and monitoring. Ihope you find out how to get everything together

You may also want to look into IP cameras with recording software or CCTV systems.

Back