Is it Possible to Lock the Desktop Toolbar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we got my Dad's HD replaced and all the data was recovered off the busted one (it was a hardware problem, not a virus or anything like I originally thought).

Apparently he likes using the desktop toolbar on his comp, but everytime the computer restarts the tool bar reorders itself. Any suggestions?

I'm puzzled why you don't have that option? If you are referring to the taskbar (normally at the bottom of the screen, there should be an option (2nd from the bottom of the drop down menu) which states "lock the taskbar", however the function is limited, I'm not sure if it's the 'lock' you're after.

I'm puzzled why you don't have that option? If you are referring to the taskbar (normally at the bottom of the screen, there should be an option (2nd from the bottom of the drop down menu) which states "lock the taskbar", however the function is limited, I'm not sure if it's the 'lock' you're after.

No, I'm looking to lock the desktop toolbar which resides on the taskbar. The taskbar itself is locked, but the desktop toolbar reorders itself after every restart.

Make sure 'auto arrange' isn't selected on your desktop. Right click the desktop - arrange icons by - and make sure 'auto arrange is not checked :)

Make sure 'auto arrange' isn't selected on your desktop. Right click the desktop - arrange icons by - and make sure 'auto arrange is not checked :)

I just went and looked. Curiously, it isn't. Shame, though, because I would've thought that was what was causing it.

1. Ask him which [Toolbar he's using.
2. See what icons are on the toolbar.
3. Control the features available by right click on toolbar> Customize> Add, Remove or Move icons which control the functions.

There is almost no end to the toolbars a user an have and no end to the function on the toolbar per the icons present from customizing!

It is perfectly normal to 'like to use the toolbar'- that's not the problem. The problem is what options are available to him there and you can control that using 'Customize. If a particular icons' presence there is getting him into trouble, you might be able to remove it.

And even better: help him understand what each icon represents, what features are used for.
It sounds like you are indicating he might not understand this. Help him out instead of trying to 'lock' him out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back