TechSpot

Is it possible to overclock my cpu and how Plz Help me

By kerpunkin
Mar 27, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a gateway 832gm computer and i want to know if it is possible to overclock the the cpu or anything else? Here is my specs,and my bios is very limited on what i can change and even the ram timings can't be changed.

Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 630 with Hyper-Threading Technology
    3.0 GHz
    800 MHz FSB
    Microsoft Media Center OS
    Memory (RAM) 2.0 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
    Hard Drive 250.0 GB 7200 RPM
    Evga Geforce 6800Gs Superclocked PCI-E
    TV Tuner Card AVerMedia® M113
    Optical Drives DVD-ROM drive Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
    Media Card Reader 8-in-1
    Other FM tuner and antenna
    IR receiver
    Media Center remote control
    Antec TruePower 550W Power Supply
    Intel (South Lake) P4 550 800 MHz Motherboard R0 D915GSN: BTX Form Factor

Also what is the fastest Cpu i can upgrade this to?

2. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 1,058

It may able to overclock in windows, but many of the programs are out dated and are very unrealiable. You can't do it in bios because your computer is an oem computer and companies like gateway, dell, hp etc etc, Disable this feature so it doesn't cloge companies up there technical support with such deallings, also if the hardware becomes unoperational do to overclocking the warranty wouldn't cover it. Wich lead to unhappy costumers
    Sry, but there's really nothing you can do to overclock your cpu

Best of Luck...

3. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 1,058

Athough you can overclock your 6800, with Coolbits wich you can download http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=815&file=7&evp=a727fa443efb02c0ad31533e05c6b10f

unzip the file and run the program and will add some settings in the registry.

To use it right click on the desktop, then click Properties, then click settings, click Advance, then click the 6800 tab, then in the left hand pannel click clock frequencies, agree to the terms to manually overclock.

Have fun and try small amounts then play a game for a few minutes if the computer freezes, reset and try again with lower settings

Best of Luck...

4. kerpunkin

kerpunkin TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 19

Yea iv got my 6800gs overclocked to core-535mhz
    memory-1.3gig
    i play battlefield 2 with settings on high and get between 50 -70 fps is that ok?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.