Is It Possible!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

topps999

im wondering on buying a 8800gtx 300mgb and the only problem i wud have to sell my 2 7600gts, this seems like a waste as i wud lose probably 20 pounds on each so i was wondering could i like hook them up with the 8800 or like run them in SLI and have the 8800 attached aswell or something like a 8800 and a 7600? please could someone help i just have no clue what to do.. thanks a bunch! topps, note any notes or help is very much appriciated

Haven't heard of any such thing being possible on nVidia graphics cards.

I've heard some rumors about being able to mix and match ATI graphics cards, but given that its not mentioned all too frequently, its not a very popular way to go.

BTW, there isn't any 8800GTX 300mb, the closest is the 8800GTS 320mb. Unless it was released during Easter where I haven't been checking the latest developments...

No, all 8800GTX's have 768MB of RAM...

I'll second what CMH said, I don't think it's possible.

There's no technology that would allow 2 7600-Series Cards in SLI and have an 8800-Series Card in another slot. Sorry though :( .

To run any nVidia cards in SLI, they need to be the same type of card. Same exact cards are a must. Not even 1 8800gtx and 1 8800gts. Yes they are similar, but still have slight differences. As for having three video cards, that would almost be impossible. Me personally, I have never seen any mobo that supports more than 2 PCIe x16 slots.

Your best bet would be to post a "Buy It Now" on http://www.ebay.co.uk/
There, you will be able to set up a price that you want for the cards and more than likely get what you want for them, but it will cost just a little to set it up.

There's so many 3x16 PCIe slot motherboards out there. Most 680i boards have them.

Don't think anyone will pay first hand price for second hand items... But thats before Ebay :D

so is there a way i could run maybe a 8800gts 320mgb (sorry for putting the 8800gtx) and a 7600? because i heard 1 guy doing this somewhere on here some time ago he did something like a 6500 with a 7600 or something. so could i do a 8800gts and a 7600gt not in SLI ? and if so could someone please explain or point me to a place i could find how to do it, thanks for the fast response.

No, there's no way...sorry :(....I would try to sell the 7600's and keep the 8800GTS....there's more use for that than the other 2 cards. I hope you well :wave: !

tops999 said:
i heard 1 guy doing this somewhere on here some time ago he did something like a 6500 with a 7600 or something

Hmm... if you can google an article which shows how to do it, we'd be VERY interested.

Right now, I think the general consensus on this forum is that its impossible.

I wouldn't say identical. You can have 2 cards from different manufacturers and it'll work. However you're talking about the same card, say the 7600GT.

Probably won't work as well as 2 identical cards, but still work nonetheless.

Would you have to have the same clock speeds as well :confused:? I'm not sure, I think not, but I'll ask anyway :D .

Hmm....

Someone should check out that thing about clock speeds.... I reckon its not that hard to change the clock speeds to match :D

so you mean that a 8800gts and a 7600gt COULD work? maybe if the clock speeds we're the same? couldnt you overclock the 7600 to the same as the 8800? :S

no, we were talking about same chips, but different clocked speeds of the chips. Some manufacturers overclock their cards, or the RAM on it, which causes the chip to be that much more different to other cards, which might cause problems if you're mixing and matching for SLI.

In other words, 8800gts and 7600gt will not work together in SLI mode. You might be able to get the 7600gt as a secondary graphics card, just for its outputs, but if I'm right, you will not get any performance boost doing so, which is the whole idea of SLI.

Bottom line: If you want to upgrade to the 8800gts, your 7600gts are useless now.

o dam :(, can i ask what would happen if i did put a 8800gts and a760gt together wud 1 of them burn up or something?

topps999 said:
so you mean that a 8800gts and a 7600gt COULD work? maybe if the clock speeds we're the same? couldnt you overclock the 7600 to the same as the 8800? :S

No it won't work, stop asking stupid questions. You should have gone to nvidia.com if you wanted to know about SLI.

topps999 said:
o dam :(, can i ask what would happen if i did put a 8800gts and a760gt together wud 1 of them burn up or something?

No, they wouldn't burn up. They just will not work @ all :(

Well, it wouldn't work on SLI, but I thought it'd still work (as in, monitor would show something if you plug it to either one). I suppose I've never done it, so I can't say for sure....

But either way, if you're looking for higher performance with your 8800gts, you'll have to get another 8800gts. Asking a million times, in a million different ways if your 7600gt would work with your 8800gts will not change the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back