Is it still possible to install Windows 7 from the host protected area after a low level format?

Dear Tech-friends,

I have a (I think) simple question for you. I want to do a low level format with I.e. Active KilldlskHDD Guru/Eraser/Dban to clean my hard disks to remove any malware that might be on it. Will this harm my hard disk or reduce it’s lifespan? But most importantly I am not sure whether I can then still install a clean version of Windows 7 from my Q-disk, the host protected area on my hard drive. I think I can still install Windows after the low level format but I just want to be sure, I don’t want to buy a new latop yet. Any ideas what low level program I can use best? HDD Low level format tool only provides the option of cleaning the whole disk and I am afraid that then also the Q-disk will be gone. Ccleaner doesn’t permit to clean the C-drive where Windows is installed. Are the partitions also gone then and will Windows make new ones as part of the installation process? Or do I need software to do this and maybe high level formatting? If you know a (free) program please let me know as well.

I would realy apreciate your help.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Paalke

If you format whole HDD with wiping tools, then Q-disk is probably gone also.

I think that Q-disk whatever will restore laptop into factory settings. In that case you only need to use that Q-disk whatever to install Windows. Because it probably creates new partitions and installs Windows, all malware is also gone. Just backup important stuff before doing that.

You need a bootable device (cdr, thumbdrive) to proceed.

delete the partition that has the C:\ drive - - this wipes the OS and all possible malware (other than a rootkit in the boot loader which is rare.

recreate that partition and fmt as NTFS

Now perform a Recovery Restore from what was the Q:\drive

You need a bootable device (cdr, thumbdrive) to proceed.

delete the partition that has the C:\ drive - - this wipes the OS and all possible malware (other than a rootkit in the boot loader which is rare.

recreate that partition and fmt as NTFS

Now perform a Recovery Restore from what was the Q:\drive

Dear Jobeard,

Tkx for your reply.

I don’t have enough knowledge to understand what you suggest as a solution to my problem. Please explain what and how in more detail. Exactly how and with which tools do you perform the steps you have stated? Are there any risks involved with the undesired result that I cannot re-install Windows?

delete the partition that has the C:\ drive - - this wipes the OS and all possible malware (other than a rootkit in the boot loader which is rare. Question: is this realy so simple, isn’t it necessary to overwrite the partition with new data called low level format for users?

recreate that partition and fmt as NTFS. Question: how exactly?

Now perform a Recovery Restore from what was the Q:\drive. Question: is this still possible because of the previous steps.

Paalke

Back