Is it the virus? Driver corruption? Hardware? All the above?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LookinAround

OK. Now, I’m the one asking for help this time. Have spent much of the day working on a friend’s computer

1. Dell Optiplex 320 running XP Pro SP3
  2. Problems started with malware symptoms
    • Clicks on Google search links were sometimes re-directed
    • Regedit and command prompt window wouldn’t open
    • AVG updates were failing to connect to AVG server
    • Windows updates also didn't appear to download/install
  3. After I tried some changes, it began to BSOD on Windows XP startup with Stop 0x0000007B
  4. Tried Safe mode, same BSOD Stop 0x0000007B on Windows XP startup
  5. I tried an XP repair install.. Starts good
    => It copies files from the CD
    => Reboots (when it should) and starts the normal XP installation / progress screens
    => Reboots itself again when done (as it should)
    => XP startup windows appears BUT THEN it's followed by a new screen stating “Setup is Restarting”, and it loops back to XP installation/progress screens (an endless loop!)
  6. I tried Dell’s hard disk diagnostics. No errors
  7. I tried the Windows Recovery Console,
    => Ran chkdsk /r. No errors
    => Ran FIXBOOT. No difference
  8. I tried booting from a Gparted-Live CD. Won’t work. Also tried a Knoppix CD. Won’t work
  9. I tried booting from an Acronis True Image v10 Recovery CD
    => If i select the normal True Image start option, it fails with USB error message
    => But when i select True Image's safe mode start option, it starts and does find the external USB drive as well
I quit for the day. Still planning to
=> Update their BIOS (i saw it's 2 years behind current release)
=> Try a ghost image recovery of a backup

Is it the virus? And/or Driver corruption? And/or hardware failure?? or ?? And why the heck is Windows in a "Setup is restarting" loop?

Any thoughts to fix???? Anyone see any thing with similar symptoms? (especially this “Setup is Restarting” loop?)

I hope this helps,
but I have no confidence in being able to help
given your extended level of expertise...

In any case...
Re: Startup Loop
This may be absolutely obvious to you
and you probably have already done this,
but have you looked at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811150

Otherwise, it sounds to me like damaged hard-drive...
though the "Stop 0x0000007B" could indicate boot sector virus...
per... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

Again, all obvious probably...
I don't know if this recovery strategy might work for you...

Install OS fresh on a new drive....
Install AV, Firewall, Antispyware etc...

Make old drive a temporary slave ( or external).
Scan for errors / malware etc
Recover data files etc

Then try diagnostics programs to repair drive.

As I said above...
you may have already gone this route too.

I had experience trying to help someone with a Dell a number of years ago,
and got into a loop... We never were able to resolve / repair it.
I think I / we finally concluded (correctly or not)
that it was a problem on the main board.

Bet you've already been here- unless you got redirected!

Advanced troubleshooting for "Stop 0x0000007B" errors in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

I'm going to quote part of it in case you cannot access:
Boot-Sector Viruses
You may receive a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message if your computer is infected with a boot-sector virus. If the problem is intermittent and you can start Windows, check your computer for viruses. If you find a virus, also check any floppy disks for viruses before you use them again.

If a virus has infected your Windows XP-based computer and a virus-detection program cannot remove the virus and repair the system, you must repartition and format your hard disk and reinstall Windows XP.
Device Driver Issues
You may receive a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message in the following scenarios:

* A device driver that the computer boot controller needs is not configured to start during the startup process.
* A device driver that the computer boot controller needs is corrupted.
* Information in the Windows XP registry (information related to how the device drivers load during startup) is corrupted.

Windows XP requires a miniport driver to communicate with the hard disk controller that is used to start your computer. If Windows XP does not supply a device driver for your controller or if Windows XP is using a corrupted or incompatible driver, you must replace the driver with a valid copy that is compatible with your controller and Windows XP.
Hardware Issues
You may receive a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message if there is a resource conflict between the boot controller and another controller or between SCSI devices. You may also receive this Stop error message if drive translation is not being performed or if drive translation was changed. To troubleshoot this issue:

1. If an IRQ or I/O port address conflict exists between the boot controller and another controller, Windows XP either stops responding (hangs) or displays a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message. If you recently added new hardware, remove the new hardware or reconfigure it so that it does not conflict with the resources of any other installed controllers.
2. If you are using a SCSI hard disk, check the SCSI chain for correct termination. Remove any unused SCSI devices or make sure that each SCSI ID is unique.
3. Make sure that drive translation is turned on (if it is required) and that it has not been changed. For example, if you recently switched controllers, this issue may occur.

Since you have asked whether the problem is virus, driver, hardware or 'other', I suspect you may have read through this already. Now that I have showed you how brilliant I am with copy and paste, let me know if you need more details from the MS site.

You have Malware that is Large and in Charge! Likely a BOOT SECTOR Virus as Bobbye suggests.

You did not say specifically what you did "changes" but you stirred up a hornets nest!

I would do this Boot CD!

1. Get Avira Rescue Boot CD http://dl1.pro.antivir.de/package/rescue_system/common/en/rescue_system-common-en.iso

2. Get ImgBurn http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download Use this to Burn Image.

3. Boot the infected from this CD chose 2 Boot into AntiVir Rescue System
4. Choose English language and wait for Drivers to load.could pause several moments at 80%

5. Arrow down to scan and hit Enter key

6.Hit Enter on next screen to Scan all files

7. On next screen hit R and enter to Repair infected files.

8. On next screen "Select additional file types leave all selected and hit enter

9. On next screen hit Enter to start scan
When finished approve to fix all.

This is important after the above reboot to the XP CD and begin Repair install over (try not to boot to normal yet).

Mike

Thank you all for your help and some great ideas, things to try and to do. I won't have a chance to look at their computer again till tomorrow or later in the week but will let you all know what i might find with your help/suggestions. Thanks again :)

By the way, someone on TechSpot once posted "Who needs a hobby when you have a PC?" And ain't it the truth?! :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back