Is it time for a new router or is it something else?

Route44

Since yesterday morning I have noticed that websites take an inordinate amount of time to load including my homepage. For example my mail page just hang as I wait to access, League of Legends is unplayable, Youtube videos either take a long time to engage or they never load, and I could not even set up a wish list on New Egg.
perplexed.gif
As I said, prior to yesterday I had no issues (with the exception of Riot Games buggy PvP Chat client which is a perpetual issue that many of us suffer with; their IT stinks).

I both pinged and did tracerts for Comcast.net, Xfinity.com, google.com, microsoft.com, Firefox, leagueoflegends, and Youtube. As for the pings: all but Microsoft.com and League were 3 out of 4 Packets lost. MS and League were 4 out of 4 Packets lost.

Tracerts: There were multiple time outs experienced by all, especially League (of course).

Back in December I had Comcast out to the house to diagnose my internet. Both my splitter and my outside connections were good. They gave me a brand new modem to replace my old one. My current router is a Netgear 600 that has been working fine for 3 years with the only issue being League.

Where do I take it from here? Could my issue be my router? I am in territory that I only have a basic working knowledge. Thanks much.

* One other thing: I have installed the latest firmware and still have loss. Could the splitter be an issue?

Last edited:
Get your ISP gateway address from the router.

Then PING -t -l 1000 that address and let it run (that's -ell, not -one)

Now watch it for a while looking for large changes in the timings.
Mine vary +-3ms

Also consider the pc directly attached to the modem w/o the router

Then the path PC=>Router->Modem=>ISP is sane and stable.
tracert $someSiteName
should be stable over this same segment and issues could arise beyond your ISP - -
and you're up a creek :Dsigh:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Tracert the following: TechSpot, AnandTech,Google, Yahoo, Xfinity, and Comcast all were fine with the exception of two *.

League timed out a great deal. Amazon.com, American Century.com, and Walmart.com started out fine but then had nothing but "Request timed out" from the 15 Hop on.

There's absolutely NOTHING you can do from your end - - you're seeing Internet / server reliability issues :; sigh :;

Okay, thanks much jobeard for all your help. One thing good out of this is I don't need to buy a new router. (y)

Use PATHPING $sitename to see that status of every node between you and the site :)

Are you running Wireless or Cabled to the router? Like another said, try direct cable to the modem bypassing the router. That will be a yes/no on the router. On the router, after upgrading firmware did you reset the modem back to defaults? Best to reset prior and after doing the firmware. Another thing you can try is opening a Command Prompt under admin privilages, then type in netsh winsock reset, followed by netsh int ipv4 reset and ipconfig /flushdns. Reboot and try again...

Time for new router man.. vpn is also a option to save you from the stress of malware attack and any other restrictions your region might have.

Well as of today its all good. Same router but with a firmware upgrade and no issues since. I avoided doing the upgrade a year ago because there was enough information by many users who stated that the then offered firmware upgrade caused all kinds of issues/instability. But then they released another one so I took the chance and as I said all is good.

Back