Is it virtual-memory related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

osmany

Today I installed Windows XP professional on a Intel RC440BX system with Intel Pentium III 450MHz processor, 256 MB RAM (2x128 SDRAM), 40GB HDD, and everything seemed to be OK (after installing Office 2003, AVG antivirus, Adobe Reader, WinRAR, Quiktime) until the system started to close open windows unexpectedly. It was quite wird, for example I went to defragment the hard drive and when I started it closed that window. Also when I went to device manager to take a look at that it closed that window unexpectedly. I restarted the system and tried to do the same and it continued closing windows. I realized it did that when more than two windows are opened, e.g. Control Panel+System properites+Device manager. My question is: Is it virtual-memory related or it is something else?. Whatever it is, would you please, spare me the possible solution.
Please, Help!!!.
Thanks a lot in advance!

You have a minimum spec for XP Pro - and you don't tell us what the graphics card you have is.
Also have a look at the performance indicator in task manager and if the average CPU usage is always high as well as the PF usage being above 75% all the time you need to add some RAM as a basic first step.

The graphics card is nVidia Riva 128/128zx, and I installed the maximum amount of memory that mobo can accept which is 2x128MB sdram for a total of 256 MB. I decided to manually change the settings for file paging size to 512 MB and it seems to have solved the problem (hopefully).
Thanks again,
Osmany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back