Is mag's SP2 disc a good idea?

By Maurice
Sep 25, 2004
  1. Just picked up the October issue of "PC Advisor"
    It has a Windows XP Service Pack 2 free disc attached, in your opinion, would this be a better proposition to use this, than the lengthy d/load for my narrowband connection.
    To me, it seems ideal, in the mag there is a lot ot info about the disc, & it's installation.
    I know you guys will tell me if you think that there are any snags, the disc is in an official M/Soft, blue sleeve, I wouldn't think that this well known mag would use anyting but genuine software items.

Wary, as ever,
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hiya Maurice. Yes it`s ok mate it will be genuine Microsoft have released it to loads of publications. I think it`s a better idea to have it on disc and it should be much quicker to install. I got mine from Microsoft`s web site free of charge took about ten days to arrive. Regards Howard:grinthumb
  3. Maurice

Maurice Banned Topic Starter Posts: 646

Thanks, Howard, the mag was only £3.50, I think it was well worth it, for the disc alone:D
    Have a good weekend, it's drizzling here on the island, the first rain for a week or more, but I'm not going out, & if I hear one more person say "it'll be good for the garden", I'll marmalise 'em!! [shades of Ken Dodd!]

Regards, Maurice:haha:
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

yep, its safe for install... well 'safe' as in its from microsoft, but SP2 does cause some problems for some people (its been discussed in several threads here just recently).

I got my SP2 through the mail (real mail not email), Microsoft is providing it free of charge to those in the US (maybe other places too but I'm not sure).

I accidentally hit submit and then tried going back to change something, I did that 2x before I realized what was going on, so I ended up with 3 of those disks, so I'm looking to give a couple away, but heh, only to people I see in real life cause otherwise its cheaper for me to have them just order it from microsoft.
  5. Maurice

Maurice Banned Topic Starter Posts: 646

Well,SNGX, I reckon that you'll be inundated with requests for your spare discs, as you were once before, if I remember rightly, with some other discs.
    I think I've sussed you, I think that you just enjoy helping people, I right? you seem that type of guy!
    As to the fact that SP2 has some snags, I must look up those posts if I can remember where they are.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.