Is moving from IDE to Sata worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, less clutter in case for one, If I am not mistaken, sata may also be cheaper, yet faster. There are sata conecto to molex avaliable, 2 bucks. good luck and enjoy

wait how are you suppose to hook up sata to molex, if my psu doesn't have a connection?
kinda confused here, are you saying i don't have to replace my psu, just buy a certain connector?

also best buy doesn't have one, unless you find one for me at best buy?
i only shop at best buy.

hummm, now your in a quandry. molex plug is what comes from existing p.s. adapter changes to a sata p.s. connector. Now if you only shop bestbuy, you should ask them to order one or two for you. Is there a fry's electronics near you.

i THINK buying a new psu is my only choice if i want to use the sata lol.
thanks, i am going to best buy again soon, and see what i decide to do.
peace

"Serial ATA - Integrated" means the the motherboard has SATA ports built in to it... Just ask for Molex to SATA power adapters

Well, if your computer's PSU doesn't have SATA connectors, it's probably time to spring for a PSU that does. This for example; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033&Tpk=Antec EA380D

This is very important with an Emachine. There is a long running argument about whether the motherboards blow up and take out the PSU, or vice-versa.

The fact remains the the OEM Bestec PSU that Emachine installs are nasty, and in no way compare to the Antec unit that I linked.

After following the link to your computer, perhaps you might also consider one of the larger Antec "Earthwatts series PSU. Either the EA430D or the EA500D bmight be a better choice. The Pentium D is a bit of a power hog. A hundred watts or so? Not sure.

You of course will do exactly as you like, as always

Hey , um i really don't feel like buying a whole new psu, even tho i know and was told what to buy. But i am going to buy from newegg, do they carry Female 4-pin molex to SATA adapters at newegg, because best buy doesn't sell them.
and how do you connect it to your psu that does not have any sata connectors?

Btw, i need some long sata cords also. Bestbuy has them, but they are 20 bucks :(

Hey , um i really don't feel like buying a whole new psu, even tho i know and was told what to buy. But i am going to buy from newegg, do they carry Female 4-pin molex to SATA adapters at newegg, because best buy doesn't sell them.
and how do you connect it to your psu that does not have any sata connectors?

Btw, i need some long sata cords also. Bestbuy has them, but they are 20 bucks :(
Well, Newegg carries SATA cables too. If you buy them together, you.ll save money on the shipping.

Do you really expect somebody to root through 500 cables for you on Newegg, to see if they carry want you want....? 'Cause that special someone won't be me.

This is all you need now:
SATA Data Cable

"so all i do is hook it up to another part to my PSU and thats it?"...

Yes, connect the Molex to SATA power adapter to a spare (unused) power supply female molex connector

This is all you need now:
SATA Data Cable

"so all i do is hook it up to another part to my PSU and thats it?"...

Yes, connect the Molex to SATA power adapter to a spare (unused) power supply female molex connector

Hey thanks, this is my first time ordering from newegg or online lol, so i hope everything works out well. I will report back once i have everything hook up :)

I should slap you for only buying at Best Buy...you must be rich to be able to afford overpaying for just about everything, lol. And Geek Squad is a joke...

Ok, now that i'm done bashing Best Buy, SATA is definitely the way to go, especially since IDE drives are getting insanely expensive ($90 for a 80GB drive!!!). Good luck with the new drive that you buy. I accidentally bought a 1 TB 7200rpm SATA drive (forgetting the my computer runs IDE cables), but instead of replacing anything or sending it back, I just bought an external enclosure that connects to my computer via USB and so far it works like a charm.

I should slap you for only buying at Best Buy
I guess you are going to be slapping millions of people huh?

You must be rich to be able to afford overpaying for just about everything, lol.
First of all, i am slightly rich or wealthy. Second, this has nothing to do with shopping at best buy, what i mean is, best buy doesn't sell everything over price. Newegg is expensive too, not to mention alot of other places. The best thing to do is catch things when they are on sale. Last, things are expensive everywhere.

And Geek Squad is a joke
They are just doing their jobs as they see fit, but i agree they are a joke, because they will charge you alot of money just to do a simple job. I take care of everything on my own tho.

SATA is definitely the way to go, Good luck with the new drive that you buy..
Thanks, i already have the 500GB internal HD , just waiting for the cords from newegg , which seems to be taking forever to show up.

He's a Newegg. customer now... No more Best Buy
Um, i never said i am going to stop shopping at best buy lol.
Newegg is going to be my secondary place to shop, only if i can't find what i want elsewhere. I don't have patience for waiting for stuff, right now i am about to go crazy, because i still don't have my items yet. I like going to a store, buying what i want in 5 mins and getting back home in another 10 mins. I don't have the patience to wait for stuff to arrive, so its best buy for life my friends. Newegg is secondary, like a backup.

I guess you are going to be slapping millions of people huh?

Hey...gotta keep my pimp hand strong. POW!!!

First of all, i am slightly rich or wealthy. Second, this has nothing to do with shopping at best buy, what i mean is, best buy doesn't sell everything over price. Newegg is expensive too, not to mention alot of other places. The best thing to do is catch things when they are on sale. Last, things are expensive everywhere.

True that not all of Best Buy's stuff is expensive, but generally newegg is so much cheaper then anywhere else. BUT the thing you have to watch out for is shipping. A lot of people don't factor that into the final price. And you also have to think about how it'll cost to ship it back if the product doesn't work (whereas if you buy in a store it's free to return...depending on how much gas you burn to go back to the store, lol).
We also have to remember that Best Buy runs both an online store as well as physical stores, so they need to be able to cover all costs.

They are just doing their jobs as they see fit, but i agree they are a joke, because they will charge you alot of money just to do a simple job. I take care of everything on my own tho.

The funny thing about Geek Squad is that they are too cheap to hire people with a degree or who have certifications. I prefer having someone who has been through school or has a certification to work on my computer. I don't trust some joe-schmoe hired off the street. And yeah, they do overprice the easy stuff.

Meritline sells the SATA cables dirt cheap and the power cables for them too. The only issue you have to wait 2 weeks for them to be shipped from Singapore. The deals were really good no tax and free shipping.

5-pack of Serial SATA cables $5.00 free shipping
4 Pack Serial SATA Power Cables Dual $3.99 free shipping

http://www.meritline.com/

Meritline sells the SATA cables dirt cheap and the power cables for them too. The only issue you have to wait 2 weeks for them to be shipped from Singapore. The deals were really good no tax and free shipping.

5-pack of Serial SATA cables $5.00 free shipping
4 Pack Serial SATA Power Cables Dual $3.99 free shipping

http://www.meritline.com/

lol no thanks, i already made my order from newegg, and i am already going crazy waiting for my stuff to arrive now, and its been a week, waiting 2 weeks will turn me into a psycho path lol. Online shopping is my secondary place, but its best buy FTW.

PEACE

Online shopping is 99.9% better than going to Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot, Office Max and whatever is left out there to buy electronics. To jump in your car or have mom or dad take you to the store type of purchase. Newegg and Meritline both ship from CA. Meritline also ships stuff from Asia to the USA since some stock is not available in the USA. I know waiting for stuff to get to you takes time. But you can get a bargain prices online better than you can in retail store. I live in a State where I don't have to pay tax on orders online unless the seller has business in this state, then I have pay the taxes. I order from Meritline, Newegg, Amazon, Buy.com, Midnight Box (this guy ships quick by FedEx). There is so much deals online you can't believe it. Last year I only got one item from BB which I had got it online from their site and then drove over to get VIP parking at BB because I had ordered online. Even HSN offers no tax if you buy online and the free shipping and flex pay sweeten the deals.

So waiting a week or two won't kill you. Amazon has it's prime shipping where you can get 3 months free if you know how to do it. I had 4 months free, and they ship the items in 2-day UPS or 2-day FedEx. I've gotten items from Amazon and Newegg in the next day! They ship quick.

Anyway happy shopping at Best Buy!

Peace to you too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back