Is my beloved Vaio is dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkypete

I have a sony vaio FS315Z and my kids, as great as they are, chucked orange juice all over it. It stopped working i presume imediately.
I have dismantled it, dried out everything and put it back together but it will not turn on. Rechecked it was all put back together correctly, but still the same.
It makes no difference if the power supply is in or out but..........
When the power lead is inserted the power light comes on, an orange colour. This would normally be green.

I have checked the power supply and been through the zero power restart process to no avail.

If it is indeed dead, i have found a secondhand replacement, although it isn't the same model, it is the lesser version but with a damaged case. This is a FS115Z.
The only difference is it has a alternative graphics card, half as much capacity for ram and the hard drive is 100 instead of 120gb.

Does anyone know if the whole thing is fried or is there something else that i can check?
I would love to be able to fix it, without spending the extra mainly because it is so reliable.

thanks
pete

The sugar in the orange juice is conductive and the spill might have shorted out the motherboard or another component

I spilled some coke on our IBM Thinkpad (thankfully it had a guarantee) and it stopped working almost immediately. We took it in, and they changed the keyboard because it was sticky and motherboard, because it got fried, (it did turn on though, only that it made strange patterns on the screen and it wouldn't go into windows.) :-(

If the laptop computer is powered on when the spill happens there is not much you can do, One thing that you can do, if you act fast enough, is to turn it upside down as soon as possible and let the fluid drain out, not in. I once had a customer bring in a laptop that had some liquid spilled into it. Almost the entire motherboard was rusted solid. I replaced the motherboard and the cooling fans. The CPU was ok

I retried it again this morning
Held the F1 key and power button down while putting the power pack in.
A few lights turned on and stayed on, the battery/power lights went green.
Did nothing else! lol

I am assuming the motherboard is fried.
If i get the alternative one i have found (fs115z) how much do you think i can swop over to get the best out of it?

Are you talking about just a motherboard from another fs115z, or the entire computer? If you have another fs115z, you can swap hard drives and you should have all your data from the spoiled fs115z still there

no.
The one i have is a fs315z but i can get hold of a fs115z, which has a damaged screen.

I know i could swop the screens but i was wondering if i could use the motherboard from the 115 and use the parts from the now toasted 315 to improve the performance.
like swopping chips, processors etc

I have tried to find a replacement motherboard for the 315 but i cant find one anywhere!! lol

If you are familiar with working on laptops, you can use the hard drive, memory, CPU/Heatsink and fans, modems, bluetooth and wireless cards and LCD screens. Do you have the motherboards part number from Sony? That's what you use to find the correct motherboard

i put it all back together again to test it out! lol
I can easily take it apart again though, where would i look for the replacement motherboard then?
I tried the sony site but didnt get anywhere.

It is a Sony Vaio VGN-FS115Z... Where are you located in the World? I kept being directed to the UK searching for the motherboard

yes i am in the uk, southampton.
But
The motherboard is needed to repair the laptop i currently have.
The Sony Vaio-VGN-FS315Z

It must not be sold in the US. I could find a replacement laptop for 165 pounds, and everything but a motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back