Is my CPU Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am in desperate need of help. My cpt died, I have a Soyo motherboard socket A with a Duron 850 MHG processor, running Windows XP. The problem started when the cpt would not reboot, it kept haveing to be turned off. It never would run, so I tried to reinstall Win XP and format the hard drive. It took over 9 hours to install it. After it was done, the mouse would not work. So I rebooted it, upon the reboot, while it was checking the memory, it just keep running, and keeps starting over. I am not sure if my processor is bad or maybe the hard drive. While I was reinstalling XP, it would take forever, something is very wrong, I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Not rebooting isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Taking an extremely long time to install Windows means there is something certainly wrong, but can be caused by a variety of circumstances. Bad hard drive, funky hardware problems and a certain BIOS setting or two for example.

The full memory test will run over and over again and it is not unusual.. It can take a really long time if you have a lot of memory. But the full memory test is only performed on shutdown and power on, not restart. And only if the option is enabled in the BIOS. If quick boot is enabled, it should be much faster.

If I were you, I might try to restore the BIOS defaults either through the BIOS menu or clearing the CMOS and make another attempt. Afterward, check to make sure your CPU settings are correct (Check that it is running at the correct speed). Ensure CPU / L1 / L2 cache options are enabled in the BIOS and make sure quick post or quick boot is enabled.

If you are still experiencing problems, I might assume a problem with the hard drive of CD-ROM and maybe even the system board or memory. I think the CPU being bad is less likely than these things., but is also a possibility

Good Advice

Rick gives good advice. You might try removing all of the unnecessary add-on cards, modem, sound card, ethernet, etc. I experienced a slow down once when the CDROM drive failed. I have also seen where the BIOS got scrambled and caused a slow down. Clearing the CMOS fixed the lagging and slow start up. Start simple and work to the hardest. I'll bet you will find clearing CMOS does the trick. Good Luck!

Rick,

Thank you for the advise. I will start with the BIOS, I have already tried this once but you never know. Also, I wanted to mention that it will lock up on restart and may take several times to get it to run. When it does, it looks like it is starting Windows but then just goes blank. I have 392 RAM, a DVD player, network card, and a 7mb hard drive( it is very small, but this is an intenet use only computer).

Thanks again.

Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back