Is my CPU running too hot?

steve101010

Hey there,

This is my first high end computer and first time overclocking. I'm running the i5 4670k with Geforce GTX 770 and Corsair Hydro Series H75. I overclocked the CPU too 4.3GHZ. I was running wolfenstein today and was monitoring with speed fan for my computer temperatures and noticed the CPU got up to 58c. is this normal ? or is that running to hot ?

Thanks in advanced !!

Yes, very normal temperature. If it's running 85C+ for an extended time and you're not using 100% CPU, then you need to start perhaps worrying.

Oh ok that's awesome to hear !

On a side note, do you know of any games right now to push my comp to the limit's ? or a program that would test it out ? I'm curious on knowing :)

Prime95 will stress your CPU/RAM to their maximum.

Furmark will stress GPU to maximum.

I recommend keeping a keen eye on temperatures to ensure you can safely stop the test if problems arise. 90C on CPU is close to dangerous territory, and 95C is close on a GPU

You can take this anyway you like. I would stay away from Furmark. It serves no purpose by loading your GPU to an impossible degree far and away more than anything you will ever encounter using it with the possibility of burning up your VRM or other components. If you will notice even review sites have moved away from using Furmark for that express purpose. Use heaven 4.0, 3DMark, etc.
Good luck :)

I haven't heard that before either but I always assumed it. Two guys on this forum that I usually don't doubt when it comes to info about GPUs are red and DBZ so I'll believe my gut and not recommend Furmark except in very special cases.

I thought it was always known that Furmark is a pure synthetic test designed to stress the component fully. 3D Mark, Heaven etc run a more realistic gameplay scenario that is rendered, which will stress the component to near-max-levels-as-playing-games. So it's a lot more accurate for temp readings etc.

Furmark is still valid to see if you've got major temp issues though, I suppose. If you load it up and a minute later you're hitting max temps, something is wrong.

Back