Is my graphics card dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparton 10

Hi, i have a hd 3870 and i'v had it for a while now, about 8 months. I had it overclocked fairly high for a long while and at one point had it running way to high but didn't realize it for a few days (i was using it heavily during those days) but i put it bak down when i realized. My ATI driver degan crashing all the time so i put it down to stock speeds about a week ago but it stills keeps crashing, what happens is the screen goes black for about 5 secs thenb comes back and says the display driver has been recovered, it does this abput 5 times then i get a blue screen and sometimes when i start up the mouse stops working and i have to restart. It crashes only on the desktop but it has terible performance in games (i cant run bioshock cuz it lags to much on high when it used to run it easy). I am currently using my friends 8400 and i have had no crashes yet.

I am unsure if it was a driver issue even though i have roled bak drivers which did nothing or if it is just my poor 3870 saying its time to move on :(

Any ideas or is anyone else having this problem(atikmdag is crashing) because i would like to not have to spend any money just yet but i cant live with this 8400.

Cheers Sparton 10 :)

It's not lookin too good, my friend. If the 8400 you're borrowing works without any issues, then likely your card took a dump. You could double check that theory by dropping your 3870 in a different computer / your friends rig to see if it also fails in there...but likely, that's just a step to confirm what you already suspect. You could also try running it with a game in windowed mode while having a temperature monitoring app running on your desktop to see how high your temps are getting...might give a failure indication there.

yer its always run hot but thats never been a problem, the 8400 crashes on startup but then works the second reboot but it says this is caused by nvidia drivers so i assume thats just because there's still ati crap remaining in the registry because it dosent crash untill windows begins to load.
thanks for the advice, sadly it looks like i will have to spend more money. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back