TechSpot

Is my MoBo ruined? Works but killed 2 PSU's in 2 days.

By Mugsy
Jun 8, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quickly: My MoBo appears to be leaking power through the rear ports. If I plug in anything that might ground it out, raw power surges through my power suppy and destroys it (I'm on my third psu now, and I only still have that because I've learned (the hard way) to kill the power the moment I recognize that... now familiar... burning smell).

    Simply plugging my coax antenna cable to my TV card was enough to cause this. I've also just noticed that any USB device with LED's on it stay lit even after I shutdown. And the LED on my Ethernet port is lit even when shutdown as long as there is a cable plugged into it. This all suggest power "leakage".

    The computer works and runs fine... even booting into Windows... as long as I don't plug anything into it that leads to Ground (no devices with their own external power source, or my antenna wire. The above observations are still there, but at least I can use it.

    I've removed my MoBo and my PC is now disassembled on my workbench. The same LED issues persist even with the board removed (it is clean, no burns, crossed wires or obvious shorts) and sitting on a wooden platform.

    This seems like there should be a relatively simple fix here. "Something" is grounding out my psu that shouldn't be. I *can* touch the MoBo's metal ports even when running, so the psu is obviously taking the brunt of any raw power as a result of this issue.

    I'm stumped. Help!
  2. Ididmyc600

    Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,251

    No it doesn't, all new MOBO's stay powered when the mains lead is in even when the OS is fully shut down, its so the PC can woken up by LAN or Modem.

    If you have this kind of issue then take a test meter and see if there is any voltage leak between the live and the ground when the PC is on.
  3. Mugsy

    Mugsy TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 424

    Where to test

    Where on the board would be the best points to test? I'll admit, I wouldn't be able to identify on sight what leads are positive and which are ground if they aren't coming from color coded (red/yellow/black) wires.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.


Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...


Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.