Is my Motherboard fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok heres my spec before i start

motherboard : asus m2n sli deluxe
processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6400+
Ram : Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400
Graphics Card : Point Of View 7600GT 256mb DDR3
Case : Raidmax Sagitta Black/Silver Gaming Case With Side Window - With 500W PSU
Cooling : Thermalright Ultra-120 EXTREME CPU Heatpipe Heatsink with Scythe S-FLEX 1600RPM 120mm Fan

basically i bought all of the above and set it up put in my old ide harddrive, and my old dvd writer and my floppy drive all from my last pc.

Booted it up it was working fine apart from i got BSOD when trying to boot my windows on my ide harddrive.
i think its to do with the ide controller being different from my last pc or something. So i thought well doesnt mater i'll buy a sata drive and install windows save any files from the ide drive and then wipe the ide drive.

so i bought a sata drive installed it plugged it in turned on my pc and no signal was going to my monitor. It smelt like it was burning slightly too so i quickly powered off the pc.

So i unplugged the sata drive and booted it up but i just get the same no signal to my monitor. The power is running through the motherboard all the fans are on the ide/sata drives spin the graphics card fan is spinning.

I have tried taking out and plugging in my graphics card several times but still nothing. Tried it in both my pcix16 slots no difference.

Im guessing i burnt something due to the smell but i just don't know what or the reason.

Anyone have any idea? i'm thinking its either the motherboard is fried or the graphics card or maybe the cpu?

A burning smell regardless of how long the power is supplied IS BAD! It could be anything in your system that burned. You could try another video card first, then the motherboard... The CPU would be that LAST thing to replace, video card is the first

When you plugged in your sata hard drive, did you use a sata power connector, a normal molex, or both?

If it was both then that has caused your problem.

Some sata hard drives have both types of power socket but only one or the other is supposed to be used, not both of them.

I'm not saying that this is definitely whats happened, its just a possibility.

Thanks

well i checked the board and graphics card to see if i could see any burned chips and i can't.
So i guess like you say my first priority is to try a new graphics card.

no well it only has the new type of sata power connector on the sata drive.

My motherboard came with the cables needed.

One thing though it came with two cables for connecting the drive both with the same sockets at the end kinda an L shape.
i think maybe one is for connecting 2 sata drives together? and the other is for connecting from motherboard to the sata drive? i think i may have connected the sata to sata cable onto my motherboard instead of the other one.

could that cause the problem

Ok well I've swapped the grahics card into another pcie slot and still the same - no signal on the monitor. Also changed monitors same thing

The hard drives seem to kick into life and the mother board seems to be powered OK. I took the heat sink and fan off the processor and no sign of discoloration or melting.

will let you know tomorrow when i try a new graphics card.

Did you clean off the CPU thermal past and apply more when you removed the CPU's heatsink? Moving a bad video card to to another slot won't tell you if the card is bad, but swapping the video card with another card will

no i didnt wipe off the thermal paste and reapply any. it was only put on some point last week and ithere was still plenty on it and was still wet.

i bought a new video card today and put it in the other free pciex16 slot turned on the pc had my monitor plugged into the new card. Same as before no output on my monitor, the new card fan span as did the old video card and all the other fans and the hdd did its thing just as before. :(

does this mean its the motherboard then..

do the power reqirements have anything to do with it?

just also like to note that both these graphics cards take power from the motherboard.

the second graphics card i bought was a Nvdia GeForce 7600 GT 256mb ddr3 pciexpress

Tried just the new graphics card on its own and still the same.

I guess it is the motherboard then my ownly problem is now if i buy a replacement motherboard how do i stop the same problem happening?

i think i may know the problem, the motherboard is just screwed to the case there were no instructions telling me otherwise.
checked case and motherboard guide nothing about standoffs.

I read on another post where the person fried theie board and it was because they didnt use a standoff?

Does this sound like it was the problem?

i have some screws that came with the board he same as these:
http://buy.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Delivery/Motherboard_Screwnut_Standoff_x_50_37594_v2.htm

can anyone tell me the correct installation method so i dont do this again?

Not using the standoffs is definately the cause of your problem without a doubt.

It may be worth removing the mobo and fitting them and trying again. If your psu is of atleast reasonable quality then there is a small possibility that it has prevented serious damage.

You need to test the psu by shorting the green wire to any black in the mobo plug to see if it still works at all.

When you short the green to any black the psu should spint its fan(s) up. You could pluh your hard drive up to it to be doubly sure it still works.

hi well i tried putting in the standoffscrews etc and plugged just the basics in processor heatsink fan ram graphics card and hooray it worked booted to the bios fine.

I checked the board while i had it out and there were no signs of burnt chips discolouration or burst resistors.

Is there still a possibility i did some damage and just dont know about it yet? or did my psu save the day?

Thanks for all the help i really appreciate it. The only thing that annoyed me is that there were no instructions about standing the motherboard off the backplate, in the manual it just said screw in the screws.(unless im blind and just didnt see it).
i have put in and taken out bits in computers alot but never had to remove or put in a motherboard and wasnt aware of the problems, i think asus should definitely include it in the manual.

well now i have two graphics cards may as well run in sli :)

Mobo makers don't include instructions for standoffs because that kind of information should be supplied with the case as there are several different ways of mounting a mobo.

As for the sli idea, that will only work if both cards are identical and have support for the sli bridge which is a connector that connects the 2 cards together on the top edge of the cards. Sli is also pointless unless you intend doing high resolution gaming.

I am happy to hear that your pc is now working tho.:)

Yea my case didn't have instructions for it either. Guess i should have done a little research or something, it was my first build. Anyway i am happy now.

Ah well that throws the sli idea out the window then, they both have sli capabilities but they are different cards so..

Thanks anyway i really appreciate the help. I can change my computer specs on my profile now too lol.

A story with a happy ending.:D the best type.:)

If you have further problems dont hesitate to post em!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back