TechSpot

Is my new hard drive failed

By ndl
Jan 27, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Help, my new hard drive failed

I just got at new Wd 160gb hard drive. It was working fine originally but since I have a old computer I have to upgrade the BIOS to use up the new HD potential. Problem is the HD disappear with the new BIOS. ** Everytime it pluged in (New HD) the HD auto detection can't find any hard drive (No matter it was placed as single master or dual master/dual slave). Remove the new HD and everything work fine. ** Go back to the OLD BIOS and the problem is still there. Can you please tell me what 's the problem. Should I return the HD for a different one ? THank

BIOS Type : Award Modular BIOS V4.51DG
    Date : 02/26/99
    ID : 02/26/99-i440BX-W83977-2A69KTG9C-00
    OEM : TRM-P6B40-A4x-V1.07
    Chipset : Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
  2. RG/DTG

RG/DTG Newcomer, in training

HD's that size for a while were coming with a PCI expantion card because windows doesn't allow for a hd of that size.
    This could be your problem.
    Otherwise without know your o/s etc.. it's hard to say
  3. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

Windows is not the problem(partitions would solve the problem if it were). Sounds like your new BIOS version also doesn't support the HDD. Get a controller card as RG/DTG suggested, this should solve the problem of your mainboard not supporting the size of the drive.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.