Is my power supply bad?

By flyinglentil
Jan 22, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well here is the whole story. I decided to upgrade my computer, after a year or so of ownership, with a new SATA hard drive and a second stick of memory. I plugged my memory in no problem, I believe. I am changing from IDE to SATA so had to switch a jumper to enable my MOBO's SATA interfaces. I first moved the wrong jumper and reset my CMOS, no big deal I booted into windows had both sticks of memory seen, and reset my clock. Upon switching the sata jumper and plugging in the drive, my computer would not boot, not even a beep to tell me I am doing something wrong. I backstep and unplug new drive and switch jumpers, no good. I take out new memory still nothing. All I get is my fans turning on, my drives turning on, my keyboard's light flash once but no beeps at all. I start removing pieces one at a time, still nothing. I take it all the way down to MOBO and power, still nothing. I break out my multimeter and test my ATX power leads. All of them look good cept my -12V which reads -11.48 ish. Is this the most likely cause to my problem?

Specs
    MOBO ASUS A7N8X deluxe
    PSU Turbolink 420ATX-12V
    MEM Corsair D400 CMX512-3200C2
    Processor AMD Athlon 3000+
    Graphics ASUS V9520 Magic/T

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.
  2. Merc14

Merc14 Newcomer, in training Posts: 464

The voltage tolerances are + or - 5% on the 12 volt line so 11.4v to 12.6v. You're almost at the lower end with no load. I'm sure a load would take you below the tolerance minimums.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.