Is my psu 20-24pin . Need fast responce

Status
Not open for further replies.

D@nny

I bought this psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817163017#DetailSpecs for my new video card. It's 20 pin I totally forgot to look up the diffrence between 20 pin and 24 pin my psu is like maybe 3-4 yrs old its 300 watts. Think its 20 pins? The PSU is delivered in 2 days and I don't want it to have to be a 24 pin? If I took off my case right now can someone help me see if its a 20 pin or if I need to cancel and get a 24 pin psu instead? Thanks

I wouldn`t worry too much.

You can always get a 20 to 24 pin converter. They only cost a few dollars.

However, I`m a little concerned that the psu you have chosen, only has 17amps on the 12volt rail.

Depending on your system specs, it might struggle to deliver the power you need. Also, that psu isn`t of a very good quality.

If you look at this article HERE. You will see that Powmax psu`s are on the unscrupulous psu manufacturers list.

Take a look at this PSU Wattage calculator. See what it says you need for your system.

Psu`s by Antec/Enermax/fortron are good quality brands.

Regards Howard :)

first off, why would you buy such a horribly rated power supply knowing that the majority or people that reviewed it said it fried in a few months? secondly, most older motherboards are 20-pin, but depending on whether or not you have an intel or amd compatible motherboard, i could be wrong. if the psu is 20-pin, and your motherboard takes a 24-pin, look for a 20-pin female to 24-pin male power conversion cable. you can find them for about $4 on newegg. hope i helped a bit

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp Kinda guessed on a few things. It told me it reccommends 302 watts kinda guess on my fan but w/e,. I even selected my future vide card too. The reason I got that PSU is because people said it ran theire 6800 gs fine. Maybe it won't die on me and I didn't want to go like a higher watt psu incase it didn't go with my mobo. I don't think it even has a 30 day warranty im not seeing it. I dunno I just thought this psu would do the trick.

did you read the AD? It's rated for 480 watts. that's ok, however, the brand is a no-name and probably has poor power to production ratio.

Yeah luckily my order was canceled because I wrote the wrong expiration date i wrote 7/09 instead of 09/07. So now im looking for a better PSU. Im willing to pay around like I guess 35-50 dollars as long as shipping/tax is under 65 dollars. So I hear anteci s a good brand and melt my mobo But their all really expensive compared to coolmax etc..I still need to kno if i need a 20 pin or a 24 pin PSU

reply with your computer/motherboard specs and i should be able to tell you if you need a 20-pin or a 24-pin

I could not get the link to work, sorry.

But it is as easy as taking the side off your PC and locating you P1 connector. I provided a pic below of what it looks like. I will be plugged directly into the motherboard. You can from there count the pins. Heck you can even take it out of the mobo (make sure to press in the clip) and count it that way.

It will give you a little practice for the real thing.

atxcon.jpg

Or you can provide a link that works :haha: :haha:

And the PSU you are considering is ok. Just ok. Not a terrible performer, but not up in the ranks of Antec.

t65848.jpg
I got the specs OH AND HEY JUST now the UPS guy came and my video card arrived. OK im taking off my case now and peeking inside to see if I can see the pins

NM I followed the wires down from the PSU and they lead to the mobo and I counted the upperline and I saw 10 wires so im guessing I have a 20 pin psu ok. Good to kno. Thank you again for your help and support TECHSUPPORT!
So 20+4 pin I can buy it and it will fit right?
The 4 are on option or a requirment? Is it better if I just buy a 20 pin or no diffrence really? So the PSU is nice and cheap and fits my limits guess i'l get it

No the you need either a 20 pin or 24 pin PSU. If you give me a price range, i can help you find one

mY range is well I payed 65 dollars on my other debit visa gift card but its currently being activated since for some reason that gift card i purchased never got loaded. Anyway Im sure it will be in the next hour so probaly a PSU from like newegg thats 30-55 dollars max so they'll be some room for shipping and tax.

Also is it safe to install my pny agp geforce card it wants 350 as a recommandation watts I only have 295.4 watts max . I can still install it and work with it right? Just when it really has to work for a game like Oblivion or F.E.A.R thats when the watt issue can become a problem right? Is this possible or should I stay clear and wait ... I dunno if i can though since im really getting pissed off at my ATI card lol.

After further inspection....

The PSU you listed is ok for your setup, as the extra 4 pins will actually snap off (area circled by yellow. Yes i know my paint skills are lacking) So you are good to go.

[/url]
Good Luck

Sean

Oh ok thanks now my video card does need the psu connected into it I see a wire leading from my psu and it connects into my mobo and its brown and small. This is for the fan right not a graphics card? I also see a white 4x4 plug into my mobo. Is that for the graphics card? No my graphics card power supply adapter is in a straight line with 4 connectors not a square. I see something that looks like it can attach to it. Its called the P7 and its being held down on the harddrive by the P6? and its like all the way at the front of my case no where near the agp slot :(

My graphics card came with the adapter for it I see it now one piece connects to the card and then 2 4 wire connectors split from it I guess one or both ofthem go somewhere in my psu. There called powerdongles and it does require both. I dunno can my psu handle 2 power dongles....I don't think I do have the 6800 Ultra AGP cause in the pic it shows 2 things sticking on the side of the card that are connected by y cables. btw the y cables plugs look much smaller then im guessing what i have hear the powerdongle that also form a Y. Mine isn't really listed on the list in the manual its not the ultra its just the GS but no where does it say GS just agp or gt agp or ultra agp or just plain simple 6800. Maybe thats mine? Im so confused now do the powerdongles connect into the PSU y cables into the harddrive. I have no y cables since my card doesn't need 2 power things plugged into it Just one it shows. My card isn't in these pics where it shows how to plug in the 6800 GF ultra agp.

The 6800 series of cards do need to be plugged in. THe AGP/PCI-E slot can not give it enough juice. It is essentail that it be plugged in.

The small brown connector is for a system fan.

And the is the 4 pin connector you are talking about resemble this?

ele-127_1.jpg

If you are feeling worried, you can always buy a beefier PSU the the thermaltake. ARe you willing to spend 50 bucks? If so, you could increase the size and quaility of the PSU.

Yes that except white. but i don't think it has anything to help with my card. Where do I plug in the Y part of the power dongle. If that pic you posted is for the agp card im so screwed. My mobo doesn't support that card It never said anything about that. See my card had an adapter to the psu but its all in straight line like this - - - - that thing is more like A square with 4 plugs

The only way to get my card to plug in that seams reasonable right now is to use that P7 connector and plug it into the bottom part of the power dongle
Y , the one where the comma is and plug on of the 2 powerdongles coming out from it into the card. It looks like this is possible since they look like they can easily reach my card when its plugged into the agp card from the P7 connector all the way near the harddrive. The one right below my floppy right?

My bad to worry you. No the p4 connector has nothing to do with you video card. That goes into you mobo, next to the CPU

The video card should use connectors (molex)
molex%20connect.jpg

Just plug two/one (depending on your card) into the corresponding holes on the video card. You do not have to use the special y adapter that came with that card, and old two/one molex connectors will work.

I used the molex thing that came with my card I plugged one into my card and the other end onto the molex? in my computer its called the P7 one. It works fine i guess. I MEAN i think my PSU is powering my video card. I hav to use the adapter because the molex in my pc is so far away the one in the pic you postd the adapter helps me reach it. Anyway yeah i guess my PSU is running the video cards im running oblivion and things are ok. Temp is around 70-73 degrees during the game and like 61 while its not. I still havnt really updated my drivers since i couldnt find them in the driver section on nvidai's site so im using like driver 5.4 something anyway im gonna update the drivers soon. Should i use the omega drivers iv been hearing so much about?

Omega Drivers arew fairly good drivers (i use them)

I dont know if i believe the hype, but they are worth a shot.

Your temps are good, a video card is going to run hotter then a CPU. 70s in a GPU is a decent temp.

IS my cpu based of the specs posted dual core? It has HT technology it is like with 2 proccessors at 512 kb cache each making it a dual core?

No, Dual Core CPUs actually have two cores on the die.

HT, is a intel feature that allows for a seperate thread to be processed, but it is not a 50 50 split. I produces no where the performance boost as a dual core CPU will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back