Is my videocard dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTGear

Hello, Recently my computer has been freezing while I play Computer Games. I've updated my drivers, ran various test and it still freezes while playing games. I've even went as far as to remove the latest drives and try to use older drivers and that failed. Could my videocard just be dead and I need to replace it? I currently have a Geforce 4 MX 440.

It could just be that your video card cannot play the games you are running. The MX 440 is a pretty weak video card. What are your other system specs and how much would you want to spend on an upgraded video card?
Cheers

My Computer specs are

Athlon XP 2800+
512mb of RAM
--
I just ordered a X800GTO. So hopefully that'll fix the problem.

Greenmachine said:
It could just be that your video card cannot play the games you are running. The MX 440 is a pretty weak video card. What are your other system specs and how much would you want to spend on an upgraded video card?
Cheers

Well, my comp specs are the following

Athlon XP 2800+
512mb of RAM.
--
I'm guessing my MX-440 has entered the end of its life, I used to play Call of Duty and Half Life 2 just fine on it but it freezes all the time now. I would say my AGP slot is damaged but my comp doesnt show the symptons of that. I guess its good I ordered that new card.

Could also be the signs of a dying power supply.

Download and run speedfan, and see what it is reporting for your 3.3v, 5v and 12v rails

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/547-speedfan.html

Also, how many watts is it, and how many amps does it have on the 12v rail? You can find this info on the sticker attached to it (open up your case and you'll see it).

Its reporting the following:

3.3v: 1.50v
5v: 5.05v
12v: 12.65V
--
I have a 300w PSU with 15a on the 12v rail.

Is this good or bad?

I have 2 HDDs, 1 DVD-ROM and 3 PCI slots filled.

Software readings of PSUs are not very reliable. It is always best to test the PSU with a voltmeter.

However, according to that reading, your PSU is failing you. In particular, your 3.3v rail, which is the one that provides most of the power to AGP graphics cards.

DonNagual said:
Software readings of PSUs are not very reliable. It is always best to test the PSU with a voltmeter.

However, according to that reading, your PSU is failing you. In particular, your 3.3v rail, which is the one that provides most of the power to AGP graphics cards.

Wow, good thing I ordered that new PSU...are there any precautions I should take until then?

I personally would try to not use it too much until you get that new PSU in. If the PSU decides to call it quits, it may send a nasty surge through your system and take some parts out with it. Happens all the time.

Well, today I just noticed my computer's mouse has stopped sliding across the screen smoothly. When it moves now, it sorta stops and goes slightly and it really lags when I move the mouse pointer around in my desktop icons. Sound like a problem the Videocard would cause or the Power Supply failing to power the card sufficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back