Is Power Archiver Any Good?

By Fred G
Jan 5, 2007
  1. I recently downloaded a program called Power Archiver and i'm curious to know how it compares to others such as winzip or winrar. I currently use winrar, does anyone think i should swith to power archiver?
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

IMHO WinRAR is absolutely the best and most natural archive manager. Has the best features too, especially for multipart archives. Not free though.

I had a very nasty experience with Powerarchiver once (years ago, I'm sure they have fixed the bug by now) and I am not going to use that program again myself.
  3. darkan9el

darkan9el TS Rookie Posts: 20

I use Izarc and winrar, I have found Izarc cannot unzip large zip or rar files very well, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, but it will unzip a lot of different archives.

but winrar is the bomb you get what you pay for, izarc is free.
  4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

I used the free PowerArchiver for several years until recently when I switched to another archive utility (Zip Genious) . The free version is several years old because PowerArchiver changed to shareware. I never had any problems with it until I encountered a rar file it wouldn't open. That's why I switched. Otherwise it's a fine utility except the free version is not supported any longer.
  5. Fred G

Fred G TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 86

Well, looks like power archiver has to go. Especially since its not supported, my free version that is. I've been using free winrar for a while now, and have yet to find a file it couldnt open, but i wanted to to give power arhiver a shot and see if its any better, i guess its not. So whats the deal with paid winrar, any new features or capabilities?
  6. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

It is mostly the same thing. Purchased version is legal, without the nag screen and lets you add authenticity information to archives.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.