Is Ram price going up again, any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by henrychieng
As above! I need another 256MB man! Should i get nowor later? Cheers!
http://www.crucial.com/library/pricing1.asp Has a good explanation on price fluctuation.
I haven't heard on whether the prices are going to continue to go up, remain steady, or drop. I just know I was lucky when I bought 512Megs of Crucial CAS2 for less than $60 USD (not counting shipping)

Think ir is still on the rise. Long gone on the times of 128Mb PC133 for under a tenner. 128Mb PC133 now cost £25 for Unbranded Stuff.

Also, I think it's due to the uptake of DDR memory - less demand for plain old PC133 SD-RAM, as DDR seems to have come down in price, in relation to PC133.

I usually buy or check prices on a weekly basis and it looks like this week the price is slightly down. I can get 512 of pc 2100 DDR for about $80 US, samsung, kingston or micron. SDRAM is a little cheaper but still about $70 US for 256.

Actually DDR ram has gone up quite a bit. I got 2 256MB sticks of DDR2100 Crucial ram about 6 months ago for 40 dollars apiece. Now you can't find any for less than about 65 dollars, if that. I wish the prices would come down a little so I could invest in a couple more sticks of 256MB.

I guess it's like you say, DDR is becoming really popular so the companies can start controlling the price more.

Six months ago I bought my laptop with 256mb and the price from crucial for another 256mb was 45.00. I figured it wouldnt rise so I didnt buy. Two months later the price went to 65 and another month it went to 85.00. I didnt think it would rise past that so I didnt buy until two weeks ago it went to 96.00. Now I am saying that I'll wait till it drops and about a week ago it went up to 104 so I bought. I wanted the extra ram and procrastination made me spend 60.00 more.

I very much dislike the computer market sometimes.

So basically, ram price are going to be steady or going up? Coz at the moment i only have 256MB and i'm thinking of gettng another 256mb to boost my pc. Anyone got anymore sugestion? Tnx n cheers!

So basically, ram price are going to be steady or going up? Coz at the moment i only have 256MB and i'm thinking of gettng another 256mb to boost my pc. Anyone got anymore sugestion? Tnx n cheers!

Henry,

The easiest thing to say is if you need some get some. You will drive yourself crazy waiting for prices to fall only to go up again. Believe me, been there done that. ;)

Originally posted by boeingfixer

Henry,

The easiest thing to say is if you need some get some. You will drive yourself crazy waiting for prices to fall only to go up again. Believe me, been there done that. ;)

That's excellent advice. In the technology world, you can't really wait for anything. It's either you get lucky by buying at the lowest price or you don't. Waiting will make things even worse.

And no matter when you buy, you'll still end up losing money over the purchase :D

Agreed!!! Buy now, save later :) I also am not happy about ram going up, because I want to get an extra 512MB for my board, but not with the current prices of ram (this poor college student can't afford it :) ).

My advice is to read my post above. Seriously, the pricing is so crazy that you just need to jump into it.

i too was left in the dust with prices i bought 2X256 pc2100 when it was $38 (us) and drove to the plant and picked it up to save the shipping (they wanted $15 to sent it 4 miles) but then about a month latter when i wanted more it was $55 and has ben on the way up so if anyone sees it for under $50 i would realy like to get my hands on some more

Originally posted by Butterball
i too was left in the dust with prices i bought 2X256 pc2100 when it was $38 (us) and drove to the plant and picked it up to save the shipping (they wanted $15 to sent it 4 miles) but then about a month latter when i wanted more it was $55 and has ben on the way up so if anyone sees it for under $50 i would realy like to get my hands on some more

I want to know too, if it is under $50 man! But i think we can wait for that for long long time, cheers!

Yeppers, it would be good for RAM modules to come down. I recently built a computer and did not buy RAM. So, I took one piece out of my primary one . . . and stuck it in my new one for temp. access. Now both of the computers ~~>> are suffering.

I am using Windows XP Professional . . . it sure does run slow =/

PLEASE RAM . . . $$ ~~>> - come down

. . . eventhough it does come down . . . can i buy it ? i have so little money . . . none !! my wallet is all empty !! and im in debt . . . because i owe my mom around $30 bucks CDN . . .

I recently bought computer parts =)@

And i don't regret because it was totally worth everything !!

More Naggering . . .

TRUFFLES

Well I just ordered some DDR and it went down $5 from monday to today, so mabee we are falling again (YEAHHHH!!), only time will tell.

Hi boiengfixer, what is ur ddr order price? Is it crucial btw. Can direct me to the site if the price is good, i want to buy too. cheers!

Btw, i just bought 2 * IBM40G today! Just done a raid o on my beloved MSI mtb Combine 2gether got 78G in total! Working hand in hand with my Quantum as40G too! Now, no more $ to buy ram anymore unless it's realy worthwhile! haha!

Hi boiengfixer, what is ur ddr order price? Is it crucial btw. Can direct me to the site if the price is good, i want to buy too. cheers!

Btw, i just bought 2 * IBM40G today! Just done a raid o on my beloved MSI mtb Combine 2gether got 78G in total! Working hand in hand with my Quantum as40G too! Now, no more $ to buy ram anymore unless it's realy worthwhile! haha!

Hey Henry,

I can buy wholesale here locally, I have a choice between Samsung, Micron and Kingston. I chose the Kingston today so I can try it out. PC2100 256 DDR. Will let you know how it performs. I am going to bench mark it with my micron.

Good luck with the IBM's, I have the same as you, 78Gig total. along with my Maxtor 40Gig. Getting a 1900+ tomorrow or friday hopfully.

i have someting to tell you henry but I will sent you a private msg..

hey boeing? you want to let your 1600+ chip go for a low price? Im looking to upgrade from my t-bird 1.33.

128Mbit SDRAM spot prices down 10% in one day

From www.digitimes.com:

The global DRAM market shifted drastically as 128Mbit SDRAM prices began to drop on the morning of March 20. By the afternoon, prices had fallen to an astoundingly low US$3.50, a 12.5% decrease in less than a day. According to Taiwan IC distributors, several major DRAM wholesalers were less than optimistic about short-term DRAM price trends and eager to reduce their high Micron Technology and Hynix Semiconductor inventories, thus accounting for the severe drop in prices.

As to why inventory clearing did not begin earlier, IC distributors said that the explanation lies in the newly-released late March contract prices being significantly lower than previously anticipated. Since DRAM manufacturers themselves do not seem hopeful about DRAM price trends, wholesalers have decided to clear out inventories as soon as possible.

Ironically, near closing time, the 12.5% drop in prices led several DRAM module makers to happily swoop in on the sale, running up DRAM prices again to US$3.60.

With DRAM manufacturers also eager to clear out inventories, wholesalers are not optimistic about short-term DRAM price trends, and second-quarter DRAM demand is not expected to be strong. Since DRAM manufacturing costs lie at US$3.50, if prices continue to drop even lower, many DRAM manufacturers will be facing losses.

Article:
http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2002/03/21&pages=05&seq=31

Too bad the price drop ain't for DDR SDRAM :(

yahoo ! =)

thats great news !!!

i must stock up while the prices are low . . . this computer would really appreciate it +)@

every now and then my pc would suffer from my actions i send . . .

its not nice . . . i don't mind but it would be better off for more =)

i remember when i first upgraded ram . . . the system ran very smoothly . . . now ? its back to slow processes again . . .

that means i might have to re-format hard drive again ;)

Thank-You very much for the good news =)

TRUFFLES

Yes, its still being used =)

My new motherboard does support both SDR and DDR . . . but i cannot use it at the same time.

I have concluded that I would be using SDR instead of DDR =)

TRUFFLES :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back