Is the motherboard mounted lever suppose to be hard to push?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
After building my new machine,
Gigabyte 945GCM(X)-s2
E6550 2.33 Duo Core
Gigabyte 8500 GT 512 Mb
Sata 80 Gb HDD
Windows XP

I noticed when i open the clip when you install your processor on the mobo, it's quite easy and without any effort what so ever. But after i put the processor into place with the golden arrow pointing in the correct direction and the processor completely laying flat. I noticed when i go to close the clamp you actually have to give it some force. I played around with it for like 10 minutes just trying to put in very gently seeing if something was getting caught....but nothing.

What i'm asking is it normal for the clamp to be a little hard to push down. I'm able to clamp down the processor, but i thought it would require no effort at all. Maybe i'm just nervous. The processor is already mounted and so is the heatsink and fan. The computer has been running fine for about 4 days now.

I just wanted to hear some advice from the experts.

If you have the motherboard out of the case and lying flat, you should be able to literally place the CPU on the socket (in the correct position) and it will drop into the holes and the lever will go down and lock the CPU in the socket.

It shouldn't require much force, but there may be a little lump sticking out on the socket that the lever needs to go over to get it down that holds it in place so it doesn't fall open.

If it's not going down then there has to be something wrong. Check for any bent CPU pins but don't force the lever, and if there are any bent pins, don't bend them back: they will probably break off.

Yes...there is some force involved. I noticed that the first time I installed a cpu, I had to push harder than expected. That's how they are.

I always install the CPU and Heatsink before I put the Board in the case. I guess I'm paranoid about the CPU Heatsink retainers not going all the way through the board...

The s775 lever does need a bit of force, the metal retainer needs to be locked down securely.

As long as the CPU is in properly - doublecheck its flush, and the notches mate up, lock her down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back